Angela
United States

Tuscany, Venice, Amalfi Coast

Recommendations for where to stay in Tuscany, Venice & Amalfi

Looking to take a 10 day trip for a 10 year anniversary.  Places of interest are Tuscan countryside (outside of Florence), Venice and Amalfi Coast.  Open to agriturismos, airbnb, B&B, hotels, villas, etc.  Does anyone have recommendations for great places they have stayed?  In Tuscany, looking for countryside property but not far from at least a few restaurants, bars, etc.  Not sure if should stay in Siena, Chianti, etc.  Venice not sure if should stay in hotel or apartment.  Figuring Amalfi is best for the most luxurious property.  Target budget is between $8-$10K for entire trip, including international airfare.  Also would love restaurant, excursion and transportation recommendations from getting from one place to the next.  Original thought was to go Tuscany --> venice--> overnight train to Naples and onward to Amalfi.

Thank you!!!

Peter from Bloomington (Indiana)

I like the Hotel Saturnia & International in Venice -- not cheap but not bad for Venice, very well located, and the staff is incredibly knowledgeable and helpful.

For Tuscany, what I plan to do next time I'm there is set up in a hotel in Siena, and use it as a base to explore the hill towns I haven't seen and spend more time in Florence. Siena has the incredible Siena Cathedral and endless charm. I haven't seen enough of itAs for which hill towns...I don't want to be the one to suggest. Too many are magnificent.

1. Hotel Saturnia & International (hotel)
  2. Siena (attraction)
  4. Siena Cathedral (attraction)

Lauren from London

Hey Angelo, I agree with Mary that it would be best to start in Venice - regarding recommendations in Venice - I would urge you to visit the islands, including Burano and Torcello Island, easily reachable with the local water bus. Otherwise, I would recommend a sailing day trip.

I don't know the area of Tuscany unfortunately but regarding the Amalfi Coast there are plenty of fantastic places to visit! If you decide against the day trip sailing in Venice, I would highly recommend doing a few days of sailing along the Amalfi Coast - you'd avoid the big crowds, you can visit Capri and the famous faraglioni, dock the boat in wonderful bays, go swimming.... sounds like an absolute dream! 

Enjoy your holiday! :)

2. Burano (island)
  3. Torcello Island (island)
  4. Tuscany (state)

Mary from Leicester

It's geographically much more sensible to start in Venice then go to Tuscany and onwards to Naples and the Amalfi Coast.

You don't mention hiring a car? Note that if you do intend to hire you will need an International Driving Permit (get it before you leave). Italian law requires an IDP to be carried by all non-EU citizens.

A car is of course useless in Venice but if you want to stay in a countryside villa in Tuscany you'll almost certainly need your own transport. Italian public transport is safe, extensive, reasonably-priced and reliable but often serves rural areas quite infrequently.

The Amalfi Coast is not served by train. From Naples you take the Circumvesuviana commuter train to Sorrento (timetable Napoli>Sorrento here http://www.eavsrl.it/web/content/orario-ferrovia ) and then you must take the bus onwards along the coast to Positano and Amalfi.

It's up to you whether you stay in a hotel or apartment in Venice but there are two things to note:

1. Venezia (translated as Venice) is an administrative region which covers a large chunk of the mainland as well as the historical city. Be very careful that the hotel or apartment you choose is actually *in* historical Venice.

2. If you haven't visited Italy before you might feel more comfortable staying in a hotel at first? Just until you get the hang of how the country works?

Have a look at the reliable and long-established www.booking.com for hotels and apartments. It has extensive listings throughout Italy (and elsewhere) and its reviews can only be posted by people who have booked through the site and completed their stay. 

Enjoy your planning! :-)

2. Tuscany (state)
  3. Naples (attraction)
  4. Amalfi Coast (attraction)
  5. Sorrento (attraction)
  6. Positano (attraction)
  7. Amalfi (city)

Ross

We stayed at an amazing hotel above Florence called Belmond Villa San Michele. Such a great location and view, amazing but not cheap property.

1. Belmond Villa San Michele (hotel)