katie
Brooklyn

Tuscany, Siena, Rome

Need town recommendation in Tuscany region

Hi, we are visiting Italy next June and will be taking the train from Siena to Rome. Is there a small town or vineyard along the way that you recommend hopping off the train to visit for a night or two? We'd love something quaint and beautiful with amazing food. Thanks!

Caterina from Florence

Dear Katie,

if I remember well, from Siena Stazione you can take the train to Chiusi-Chianciano Terme and change here for Rome. The train that goes to Chiusi-Chianciano Terme calls at Asciano / Archabbey of Monte Oliveto Maggiore

from here you can easily reach the nice little village of Chiusure

(here is something I wrote years ago about the above mentioned places: http://www.inyourtuscany.com/en/itinerari.php?id=45 )

The same train also calls at Montepulciano

which is very popular all over the world (much bigger than Chiusure, filled with history, art and cozy little restaurants...) ... If you've never visited it, you should definitely stop here for a couple of days ;-)

Take care

Caterina

1. Siena Stazione (attraction)
  2. Chiusi-Chianciano Terme (attraction)
  4. Archabbey of Monte Oliveto Maggiore (attraction)
  5. Chiusure (city)
  6. Montepulciano (city)

Peter from Bloomington (Indiana)

Not Tuscany, but I love Orvieto. Great food, great local white wine, magnificent Duomo. Well located for a Siena to Rome trip. 

1. Orvieto (city)

Lee from Florida

I'll take the House Wine every time.  Always, in my experience, very good indeed.  Restaurants are proud of their house wines, many even have theirs private labeled for serving in the restaurant and sometimes for sale by the bottle to take away....unlike the U.S. where the house wine is the cheapest.