Lale

Tuscany, Siena, Radda in Chianti

Driving and wine tasting in Tuscany- should we get a driver?

We'll be in Tuscany for a few days based a little outside of Radda. I rented a car to be able to visit all the small towns around and do the wine tasting. Would it be a problem if i drink 2 glasses of wine max and drive during the day? Are there a lot of controls on the roads? Getting a private driver is quite costly and i really don't want to do it unless i don't have to. 

Thanks

Sara from Florence

Hi Lale! Once you are in Tuscany and you get to taste Chianti wine you cannot spend all evening being worried about driving afterwards!!! I would say that you have to enjoy it :D

The problem of course is that you cannot drink and drive and 2 glasses are already enough to get you stopped by the authorities. I would not risk it... So I would say, the solutions are: 

1. you get a driver but it is indeed expensive,taxis too. Maybe with Uber you can save some money...

2. you sleep somewhere in the town where the wine tasting tour is.. There are many hotels for example that partner up with wine tours organizers and they also take care of you, if you don't want to drive.

3. You have a rich dinner, and then you take a walk. In this way you would restore your alchool level to normal.

Enjoy your trip!

Gordon from Baltimore

I am a wine lover and have been going to Chianti and Montalcino for many years. It is a terrible idea to drive after consuming ANY wine. The cost of a conviction or accident far exceeds that of a private driver. I use Alex Pierangioli and he can be reached at enotecapierangioli@hotmail.com.

1. Chianti (attraction)
  2. Montalcino (city)