Scott

Turkey, Istanbul

Tipping in Turkey

What's customary in Turkey when it comes to tipping? Do they tip, and if they do, what percentage is appropriate? I plan on taking cabs and eating at restaurants, and I don't want to over or undertip, so I'd like to know!  If it matters, I'll be spending most of my time in Istanbul, but taking excursions out to smaller villages too.

Tony from Seattle

Was just in Turkey for a month.  General rules of thumb:

• Round up for taxis if you like, but no tip is expected.
  • 5-15% is appropriate at restaurants/bars/cafes with table service.
  • 10-20% at a Hamam
  • 5-10% for a good tour guide

Erdem from Istanbul

In the restaurants you can get away with no tipping. I as a local usually tip 5-10%. There are no strict rules and nobody is going to come chasing you like in the United States. :)

Do not tip the taxis. This is not customary and not a requirement for sure.

Missy from Newport

I have always thought of Turkey as a country where great service is provided, however gratuities are expected.  I have left gratuities in Turkish Lire, USD, and EUR, however paper money, no coins for USD and EUR.  I usually leave 5-10% on a restaurant bill, for porters in a hotel for baggage $1.00 or EUR 1.00 per bag, and for porter services in an airport $3.00 per bag or EUR 2.00, and I round up for taxis.