Diana
Lisbon

Turkey, Istanbul, Cappadocia, Pamukkale

I am planning a 10 days trip to Turkey. What places / cities I cannot miss?

I want to start with Istanbul, then go by bus to Cappadocia (3 days in total including road trip...is it enough time?) then Pamukkale and Anatolia. What should be the order of visit in order to make the best of it (while keeping on budget)?

Levent

Hey Diana

Istanbul and Cappadocia are great in October. As I live in Istanbul; April, May, September and October are great time to visit. After Istanbul Cappadocia will be so nice. 2-3 days are ok. Except Pamukkale, you can go to Ephesus which is so nice. The route can be like Istanbul - Cappadocia - Ephesus. If you have any questions about Istanbul, here to assist.

1. Istanbul (city)
  2. Ephesus (restaurant)
  3. Cappadocia (region)

Gaia from Chicago

Ciao Diana!

Pamukkale, Cappadocia and Anatolia are perfect picks. If you are going late-spring or during the summer, Antalya is a very pretty town with a typical historic city center and it is not crowded in June. Also, consider Fethiye, where you can go paragliding and where you can explore the Sea and the valleys thanks to cheap boat tours.

I hope you'll enjoy Turkey: I loved it!

Safe travels! 

1. Antalya (city)
  2. Fethiye (city)

Cappadocia is fantastic and highly recommended.

Pamukkale is very touristy and can be a little dissapointing but some people love it, but I would personally prefer other places.

When you say Anatolia then this is a very broad concept as this is 97% of the turkish land mass :)

But I would highly recommend Istanbul and if you are interested in ancint sites then Ephesus is very scenic and so is Aspendos if you decide to hit the south coast.

1. Pamukkale (city)
  2. Istanbul (city)
  3. Ephesus (attraction)
  4. Aspendos (attraction)
  5. Cappadocia (region)

Missy from Newport

Hi, unless riding on the bus is of interest to see the countryside, you may want to check flights on the Turkish Airline Pegasus, which, if booked early enough, and not choosing the ad on's such as meals, seat assignment etc., can be just a little more than a bus ticket for some legs, such as Istanbul to Cappadocia, and could save you a lot of time on a 10 day trip allowing you to see more.  It is a long way from Istanbul to Cappadocia by bus.  Flights are sold one way.  Perhaps fly from Istanbul to Cappadocia one way, and then take the bus into the rest of Anatolia.  I think Ephesus is well worth adding , if you have the time.

1. Istanbul (city)
  2. Ephesus (attraction)
  3. Cappadocia (region)

Eda

Hi, I would do 5 days in Istanbul, 2 nights in Cappadocia and 2 nights near Ephesus. Feel free to contact me if you need hotel booking and private tour arrangements. 10 days is a good amount of time, enjoy! Best, Eda

1. Istanbul (city)
  2. Ephesus (attraction)
  3. Cappadocia (region)

Fleur from Paris

Hello!

You should spend as much time as you can in Istanbul, it is a great city.

Also, the régions of anatolia ans cappadocia are really large and there are nice views, but nothing else.

To me you should start with Istanbul then Anatolia, then Pamukkale and then Cappadocia. But it will depend on where you are staying exactly.

Bus are not too expensive there and you can travel by night. but again, it is a large country ;)

Have a nice travel ;)

1. Istanbul (city)
  2. Anatolia (attraction)
  3. Pamukkale (city)
  4. Cappadocia (region)

As from Worcester (Massachusetts)

I just returned from a 12 day 3000 k tour of Turkey last week, and would agree it is a large country so you might want to fly into Cappadocia and then take a bus back to Istanbul for your return flight home.  You should try and see the Whirling Dervishes while  in Capadoccia and a balloon ride, although pricey is worth it.

If you are looking for historical sites you really should go to Izmir because Ephesus is pretty amazing.

As some of the comments mentioned, Istanbul has a lot to do and see, so you could easily spend many days there and not take it all in. 

1. Istanbul (city)
  2. Izmir (city)
  3. Ephesus (attraction)
  4. Cappadocia (region)