Julie
Saint Paul (Minnesota)

Turkey

Agean Airlines Baggage Policy, Tips?

My husband and I are heading to Turkey in May and want to buy a plane ticket from Santorini Greece to Turkey. I am confused about the baggage policy on Agean Airlines.  I have read their website several times and can't figure out if you have to pay for all your luggage even if it is a carry on.  We will be purchasing the GoLight tickets that don't allow a free piece of checked luggage.

Any tips with using this airline would be greatly appreciated.  I know other airlines make you check in to your flight online or there are extra charges.  Tips like that would be appreciated.

Brett from Long Beach

You do get a free carry-on, but how big actually depends on what aircraft you're flying.  If you are on one of their Dash-8 prop aircraft (which do operate Athens to Santorini on a couple flights), then you can carry on board the plane 1 piece of hand baggage, weighing no more than 8 kg and measuring no more than 55cm in length x 40cm in height x 23cm.  If you're on a larger Airbus aircraft, then it can be 56cm in length x 45cm in height x  25cm in width.

Missy from Newport

Hi, I just bought a plane ticket on Aegean Air this morning.  My advice is to only buy the Go Light fare if you only have a piece of hand luggage that is no more than 8 Kg, (allowance on the Go Light if you click on the Go Light tab) and if on purchase of the ticket, if you have another bag of no more than 22 KG, you choose to have a checked bag of up to 22 Kg for an additional EUR 17 and nothing more for luggage.  However do check and compare pricing of the Go Light plus EUR 17 for one piece of checked luggage no more than 22 Kg, as the additional EUR 17 plus the Go Light fare may be more than the next highest fare which is the Flex category in which you are allowed one checked bag of up to 22 KG.  (the pricing difference of Go Light + 17 EUR for one checked bag up to 22 Kg versus Flex including one checked bag of up to 22 Kg seems to depend on the flight).  If you will have more or heavier luggage it seems that only if you purchase the Flex fare, which is what I did, where one piece of checked luggage is allowed for up to 22 Kg within the ticket price, you can for an additional fee purchase either an upgrade from 22Kg to 32 Kg, for one piece of luggage, or you can purchase the right to have a second piece of luggage again at 22 Kg.  I always make arrangements for the baggage I might have at the time I purchase the ticket and include my baggage choices in the cost of the ticket, as purchasing that needed for any baggage is more expensive at the airport, and takes time and you may have to go to another service desk in the airport to buy the luggage upgrades needed.  

John from Egypt

Aegean Airlines baggage allowance differs as per booked travel class. For eg: Guests with Aegean Airlines flight booking for economy class (flex fare) can enjoy baggage allowance of upto 23 kgs/per piece in check in 2 bags weighing up to 32 kgs for business class and can carry 1 bag of 8 kgs in the cabin. More info click Aegean Airlines baggage policy.