Ami
Manhattan Beach

Tulum

Tulum for babymoon with toddler

Wondering if this is a good travel spot with toddlers. Debating on bringing our 2 year old on our babymoon. Any suggestions on what to see/do are greatly appreciated. Also, looking to stay at a place around $300 if that's doable. Any recommendations on lodging would be wonderful!

Cath

Yes you can bring your toddler but I don't recommend it.  It's humid and a bit warm, might be an uncomfortable tour for a mom and child.  I just came back a few days ago.  it's not a place for anyone under 12. You might not able to appreciate the amazing tour.

Luciana from Austin (Texas)

I would recommend Tulum if you were going with your husband alone. With a toddler, I would choose one of the amazing resorts next to Playa del Carmen. You can still visit Tulum during the day and enjoy the beach and the ruins there, but the accommodations in Tulum tend to be more rustic. I've been to both places with my kids (last time they were ages 4 and 5 months old), we stayed in a resort close to Playa del Carmen and spent one of the days at the beach in Tulum (at Playa Paraiso, very laid back). You can find good resorts for that price for sure. I don't agree with the person who responded it's humid and hot to the point of being uncomfortable, I was there in February once and again in April and it was comfortable both times, never too hot, kids never had any problems with the weather.  We love the Riviera Maya, we rented a car both times and drove all over - Puerto Morelos, Isla Mujeres (took the ferry there from Cancun), Cozumel (ferry from Playa), Tulum, Akumal and the Yal Ku Lagoon, the ecoparks ( Xcaret and Xel Ha) it's a very family friendly area. 

1. Playa Paraiso (attraction)
  2. Riviera Maya (city)
  3. Puerto Morelos (city)
  4. Isla Mujeres (island)
  5. Cancun (city)
  6. Cozumel (island)
  7. Akumal (attraction)
  8. Yal Ku Lagoon (attraction)
  9. Xcaret (attraction)
  10. Xel Ha (attraction)

Tiffany

We recently stayed at The Papaya Playa Project By Design Hotels and it was a great experience. For a toddler, it is OK if you just want to hang out on the beach. They have a kids area/playset, but usually the sand is the biggest draw. Drinks and food are at the resort. We stayed in a hut and it was good--you may need to bring a pack n play though. La Zebra Luxury Cabanas and Maya Tulum were also great places that we thought we would go back when we brought our kids (we have 4 & 7 yr old at home, but were traveling solo that time). have fun!! (note, the beachfront can be windy, but most restaurants are behind a wall of trees so you aren't affected by it. All places were family-friendly when we were there last month. 

1. The Papaya Playa Project By Design Hotels (hotel)
  2. La Zebra Luxury Cabanas (attraction)
  3. Maya Tulum (hotel)

Kay from Akumal

Ami, Tulum is great.  Really you need to think of what your needs are with your toddlers because many of the places in Tulum are rustic. But there are places that are good for families.  To tell you if your budget is in line let me know your dates, and some of the amenities your family needs.  

1. Tulum (city)