Regan
Brooklyn

Tulum

Looking for dining/nightlife suggestions in downtown TULUM

Hi all. Going to Tulum in a few weeks and have heard that the beach area has become really touristy and over-developed but that the downtown is still real. Anyone have any restaurant, bar or boutique suggestions for downtown Tulum? Thanks!

Cynthia from Boston

I'd definitely recommend at least stopping by Curandero . It is a fun bar with live music (occasionally), good drinks, and a laid back/artsy vibe. By far one of my favorites that I've come across in my travels. 

When I visited Tulum, I heard good things about Batey, but I never got a chance to go so I cannot vouch for the place. La Malquerida is also a good bar, the staff are great and the bartender nicknamed Chupacabra makes a mean drink. The food at La Malquerida wasn't particularly memorable but it was decent. All of these places are walking distance so you can bar hop if you'd like.

1. Curandero (restaurant)
  2. Batey (restaurant)
  3. La Malquerida (restaurant)

Cristóbal from Puerto Morelos

I'd like to start by stating that I wouldn't consider the beach area over developed in Tulum. Don't get me wrong: they're a couple major hotels in the area but it is nothing like Cancun which is, by my standards, the definition of over-developed and touristy. 

There are probably a couple bars you can visit in Tulum, do not expect to much. Practically anything open would be a great place for grabbing a drink or two. Todos Santos Curanderoand Batey are your weapon of choice for a night drink blending with the locals.

1. Todos Santos (restaurant)
  2. Curandero (restaurant)
  3. Batey (restaurant)

Kay from Akumal

I agree  La Malquerida is a good option. Standard Mexican fare, great service and decent prices.  LA NAVE has been around since the mid 90's and they have great italian. The spinach ravioli is the best in my opinion.  Piola Tulumalthough a chain, has the best pizza in town right now.  Campanellais a must for dessert, the best ice-cream bar none.  

1. LA NAVE (restaurant)
  2. Piola Tulum (restaurant)
  3. Campanella (restaurant)