Aude

Tulum

Best boutique hotel in Tulum

Hello! What hotel do you recommend in Tulum, Mexico? My husband and I prefer small and intimate boutique hotels if right on the beach. My budget is max $250 per night. Would you recommend to rent a car to transfer from the airport and do some site seeing? Thanks a bunch!

James from Dallas

Hello Aude,

I've been to Tulum and all over Playa with friends that live there and our favorite boutique hotel is Papaya Playa  It's right on the beach, pristine beaches, and intimate without all the tourist traffic.

http://www.papayaplayaproject.com/

If you rent a car you had better know your way around even if you have GPS. If you don't want to waste any time getting lost or asking directions etc. I would just use the ADO bus line to transfer from the hotel and then taxi around for sightseeing.  

If you want to find the ADO station at the airport just walk past all of the vendors inside the airport trying to sell you cars and trips.  When you get outside turn to your right and walk all the way down and you will see buses coming in and out. ADO ticket window is there by the buses.  

*NOTE* once you get your tickets make sure you know what pick up time and bus line you are on, if you miss your bus there's a fee to change.

The actual cost for the tickets is about $30 round trip per person from Cancun Airport to Tulum. http://www.ado.com.mx/ado/index.jsp

As far as sightseeing goes there is a lot to do and it really depends on what you like. I suggest connecting with some local private guides who can take you around all the different beaches, sites, etc for a fee.

If you want some personal recommendations let me know and I can get you some tour guides I know.

Alternatively you can look up tours and things to do when you get there...if you go that route have a look at our iphone app for finding and booking things to do in Cancun, Playa, & Riviera Maya at http://app.yucatango.com/

1. Papaya Playa (hotel)

Serena from San Francisco

My absolute favorite hotel in the entire world is Hotel Be Tulum - but it's pricey. When I was there a few years ago my room was around $250 a night, but we got a great deal through because they were still pretty new. I think it's more now, but you can sometimes find deals on various sites, so definitely look into it. And if you decide to splurge, it's completely worth it. 

A more affordable but still wonderful option is La Zebra Hotel. It's charming and funky and has a great restaurant. Many friends have stayed there and love it. 

Both are right on the beach.

My husband and I didn't rent a car and we had no problems. We rented bikes and were able to get everywhere we wanted within Tulum really easily. However, if you want to do some serious sight seeing outside of Tulum, a car would be needed. 

1. Hotel Be Tulum (hotel)
  2. La Zebra Hotel (restaurant)

caroline from Mexico City

Go to the hotel Diamante K, it is great and not so expensive! :-)

1. Diamante K (attraction)

Sherry from Alma

I agree that Papaya Playa is great and has the best beach! We are staying at Cabañas La Luna in Nov. We rented a car before and will this time. No problems at all getting around! We liked having it. .. drove out to Coba ruins which we liked a lot. We did an "Edventure" trip and are doing it in Nov again we liked so much! Lots of great restaurants to check out!

1. Papaya Playa (hotel)
  2. Cabañas La Luna (hotel)