Lorin

Tulum, Playa del Carmen

Advice on best kept secrets?

My boyfriend and I will be going to Playa del Carmen and Tulum at the end of April. I wanted to know the best cenotes to visit, right now I know the Gran Cenote is a must, as well other must do activities or sights. I will be 6 months pregnant so nothing to crazy! Also, any amazing restaurants or hidden gems we must try, Hartwood is on the top of the list right now but it could be a hidden taco stand as long as it's amazing!

Raminta from Tulum

Hi Lorin,

This will be a beautiful trip, and congrats on becoming a mother soon!

I have a company in Tulum, and write a blog about the best kept secrets, the best restaurants, etc.

As for amazing things to do, try the wonderful Gran Cenote. Do a day trip to Sian Ka'an biosphere reserve - it's best to go from Muyil, 10 min away from Tulum.

As for restaurants, besides Hartwood, there is Simple if you like great fresh fish and many others in the beach zone or, for example, Batey Guarapo & Mojito bar in the village that is a must for local atmosphere and vibe.

In any case, I am sending you some of the links to my blog, and I wish you a wonderful vacation.

Best secret things to do in Tulum. (cenotes, amazing side trips, etc.)

Best restaurants by the beach. (Hartwood - yes! But also try Simple, Casa Banana, and others)

Best restaurants in the village of Tulum. (spend at least one evening in the village and explore where locals go; this includes best taco stands also, but much more than that, too ;-))

Have a wonderful trip!

Raminta

1. Gran Cenote (attraction)
  2. Sian Ka'an (attraction)
  3. Muyil (attraction)
  4. Hartwood (restaurant)
  5. Simple (restaurant)
  6. Casa Banana (restaurant)

Cristóbal from Puerto Morelos

Hello Lorin! Do you plan to Scuba Dive or just Snorkel in the cenotes?

Cenote Chac Mool is one of my favorites for scuba diving. However: for snorkeling is not as good since it has a very small water surface so you don't have plenty of space. If you plan to snorkel, probably Blue Cenote or Cenote Kantun-Chi, entrada would be more suitable for you. Actually my favorite of those two is Kantun Chi since there are several cenotes in the premises and you can get to visit them. 

About Restaurants... Are you up for seafood? Try El Cantil De Los Tiburones It is an amazing place. 100% recommended.

If there's anything else I can do for you, please let me know.

1. Cenote Chac Mool (attraction)
  2. Blue Cenote (attraction)
  3. Cenote Kantun-Chi, entrada (attraction)
  4. El Cantil De Los Tiburones (restaurant)

Karen from Stonington

Alux Restaurant Bar Lounge is a restaurant/lounge situated in a cave in PDC. An utterly unique setting and worth a visit.

1. Alux Restaurant Bar Lounge (restaurant)