Erma asked

Route

Route and distance stay away from large cities

Tulsa Panama City Beach

Tristan from Florida
The default route doesn't have too many huge cities. Assuming you still want to take highways for a faster drive instead of smaller roads, stick to I-40 for the initial part of the trip. You can stay on I-40 to go past the north end of Little Rock, or if for some reason you want to see something south of the city, you could use I-430 and I-440 to bypass the main center.
Getting back on I-40, when you reach Memphis, you probably want to connect on I-55 to I-22. There is a bypass highway (I-269) that was recently completed, but it's more useful for a north/south route. Maybe try taking I-55 south to connect to I-269 east that gets you to I-22.
From there, you're really not going to hit any major cities. You pass through Tupelo, then when you get to Birmingham (Alabama), you can connect to I-65 south. Birmingham has I-459 as a bypass, but again it goes the wrong direction so it's not that useful for your trip. You could try to do I-20 south to I-459 east to get back to I-65 if you really want to avoid as much as possible in the middle.
Take I-65 through Montgomery, then cross over to smaller roads whenever it makes sense to get to Panama City Beach. Have a great trip!

1. Little Rock (city)
  2. Memphis (city)
  3. Tupelo (city)
  4. Birmingham (Alabama) (city)
  5. Montgomery (city)
  6. Panama City Beach (city)