Tulsa

Best free things to do in Tulsa?

I'm going to be in Tulsa next month and will be on a pretty tight budget. I'm looking for the best free and inexpensive things to check out! I love the outdoors, art, museums, you name it. Thanks!

Meggan from Tulsa, Oklahoma

If you have a student I.D. then the Philbrook Museum of Art will give you free admission. Their gardens are beautiful! If you feel like going out in the cold, you can rent a bike or just walk down riverside. Our downtown area is pretty lively at night. You can check out the Blue Dome District. Yokozuna has good sushi but if you're not into that, Joe Momma's pizza is pretty good. I live here and I'm having trouble thinking of things lol. January and February are kind of slow months around here. We pretty much just go in our houses and wait for the sun to come out in March haha!

1. Philbrook Museum of Art (attraction)
  2. Blue Dome District (attraction)
  3. Yokozuna (restaurant)
  4. Joe Momma's (restaurant)

Shanti from Imphal

Dear Katie,

You can do a lot of free inexpensive stuffs here in Tulsa..You can stay for free with local Couchsurfers..We have young ones & older ones too...Choice is yours....if you are on Couchsurfing, do get in touch with some of the good hosts that I know. Meera Bhagat Boussou, Paul Gray, ( who can show you around, he is a retired guy & has the time), Joseph, Gloria Jung ( she lives with her hubby down town Tulsa & quite few others). Philbrook Museum of Art has free entrance on the 2nd Saturday of the month. Normal fees are $9/adult. We have the world class Gilcrease Museum too. There's the Turner Falls about 3 hrs away from Tulsa. They charge $13 or so per person to enter the water Falls. There are quite few open & free summer concerts at the river walk crossing & the Utica Square midtown. You can even contact me ( m a couch surfing host too )....if you don't mind staying  in my apartment & exploring on your own....I work weekends so I'm not home. For outdoors, the Turkey Mountain is close by my place. We have the River City Trail for biking & walking. Cheap eateries compared to other hi fi cities......we do have the Peach Porter Festival in Porter, & the beautiful Talimena Scenic drive byway some 3 hrs away......so much more.....feel free to visit our city !!!! We do have the BOK Centerdowntown which has had so many world class concerts & other big events!

1. Tulsa (city)
  2. Philbrook Museum of Art (attraction)
  3. Gilcrease Museum (attraction)
  4. Turner Falls (attraction)
  5. Utica Square (attraction)
  6. Turkey Mountain (attraction)
  7. River City Trail (attraction)
  8. Porter (attraction)
  9. BOK Center (attraction)

Tamara

Guthrie Green is free and there's always something going on, especially on Sundays. There's always great music on Sunday, free movies on Thursday nights, etc. Philbrook Museum of Art is inexpensive and even free (on the 1st Saturday for BOA members and 2nd Saturday for everyone). 

1. Guthrie Green (attraction)
  2. Philbrook Museum of Art (attraction)