Kirsten

Trinidad (California), Mendocino, Coos Bay, Portland, San Diego

How long to stay in Trinidad California, whilst on a road trip

My husband and I are from Australia and driving along the Pacific Hwy from Portland Oregon to San Diego this September. We have planned to spend 5 days driving to San Francisco from Portland. We wish to stop and explore along the way. We have booked the first night at Coos Bay, then a couple of nights in Trinidad. My question is whether we should stay another night in Trinidad and a night around Mendocino, or two nights in each area? I’m open to all suggestions 😊

Claudia

We enjoyed two nights in Trinidad several years ago.  Very small town but very scenic.  I would not stay more than two.

Michael from Tacoma

California is in the midst of a terrible fire season. I read that fires are raging near Mendocino. I think you should check the weather maps and forecasts. The fires seem to be widespread.

John from Chicago

Hopefully you'll get advice from a local who knows the area, but here are a few things people have said about the area.

The weather is one of the main factors. If it rains a lot, it might affect your drive. Fog is also common, but that may not be an issue.

Some people suggest spending two nights in Mendocino if you want to explore the area more. A big question is if you are going into Redwood National Park.

The drive from Fort Bragg to Bodega Bay is very pretty, and the coast is different from what you would see in Oregon.

You may see more ocean near Mendocino, but the forest is more impressive further north.

It's really up to your personal preferences on the pace of the trip. The big question is whether you want to explore inland, in which case you probably want two nights instead of one. Otherwise, you could check out lots of beaches around Trinidad (California).

1. Mendocino (city)
  2. Redwood National Park (park)
  3. Fort Bragg (city)
  4. Bodega Bay (city)
  5. Trinidad (California) (city)