Taylor
New Orleans

Taylor from New Orleans asked

Highlights of Brasov & Sighisoara?

This month (March 2016), I will be traveling to Brasov and Sighisoara in Transylvania. Any tips on what to see and what to skip? Dracula's castle... is it worth it? Any good hiking spots? Dog friendly cafes? Any advice about this area would be appreciated!!

Transylvania

Adina from Bucharest

Hi Taylor,

Brasov and Sighisoara are for sure must-see. You will love the medieval feeling that you get once there. Bran Castle/ Dracula Castle is nice to see, just to thick this super touristic place, but I won't spend too much time there. 

In Brasov for a good start of the day I would recommend HOF Cafe. Specialty coffee and great atmosphere. Then for a traditional lunch La Ceaun. For a fancy dinner right in the centre of the city, but hidden on a narrow street Bistro de l'Arte

On the other side, if you are a foodie person I could recommend an amazing lady that has a restored mansion who is really passionate about cooking, she speaks many languages and would share her story with you next to a glass of wine and jazz music! A must try!

Here you can find her: https://spoty.com/vacations/romania/a-gourmet-escape-in-the-heart-of-transylvania

• For hiking Tâmpa Gardens is a good starting point. But the most beautiful ones would be those starting from Sinaia or Busteni for example those leading to Caraiman, Piatra Arsa, Babele, Sfinxul, Omu Peak. 

1. HOF Cafe (restaurant)
  2. La Ceaun (restaurant)
  3. Bistro de l'Arte (restaurant)
  4. Tâmpa Gardens (attraction)
  5. Sinaia (city)
  6. Busteni (city)
Iulia from Cluj-Napoca

You have to visit the  Old Town in Brasov it is very beautifull and there is full of little bistros where you can have a lovely meal.

I recommend if you go to Sighisoara Sighisoara to go for an hour drive and go visit Sibiu  as well,  It is very beautifully restored , German influences are seen on the buildings.

Because this cities are full of turist you will also see țigani - gypsies, but they are not violent so just tell'em to go away and they will do that, be carefull were you put your belongings, they have a "quick hand". 

1. Sighisoara (city)
  2. Sibiu (city)
Rasto from Edmonton

I was traveling Romania last summer in August. Had only 7 full days to enjoy it, but it was still well worth it and we had a great time there. Even though we spent only one full day and one night in Brasov, we truly enjoyed the old town and local restaurants. I would say Sibiu is even more beautiful and hiking Făgăraș Mountains in summer is something on a top list if you are an avid hiker.

I have a nice picture galleries from my summer trip so if you want, check out my Brasov, Sibiu and Fagaras Mtns. collections.

1. Brasov (city)
  2. Sibiu (city)
  3. Făgăraș Mountains (attraction)