Drive      Fly      Stay      Login    Signup


General Travel

Transit Visa

I am travelling from Ireland (resident in Ireland) but my passport still South African.  Arriving at T2 at Heathrow and 3 hours later departing from T5. Luggage will be booked right through to South Africa.  Do I need a transit visa? (my children aged 9 and 7 flying with me, however they have Irish passports.

Thanks so much

1 Answer

answered first by
Mary from Leicester

Use the official United Kingdom government site:

As a South Africa citizen you would normally need a Direct Airside Transit Visa (DATV) to make a transit airside or a Visitor in Transit visa to make a transit landside in the UK. There are exemptions, however, including 

  • a common format residence permit issued by an European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland

Ireland is an EEA country. I assume you have the appropriate common format residence permit? If that is the case, you do not require a DATV to transit at the UK (you can easily transfer T2 > T5 at Heathrow using the dedicated airside transit buses). 

Mentioned in this answer:

  1. United Kingdom (country)
  2. South Africa (attraction)
  3. Ireland (attraction)
1 thanks

© 2020   ·   View: Full | Mobile
Follow us:      
Questions   ·   Destinations   ·   Drive   ·   Fly   ·   Airports   ·   Stay   ·   Search

Login   ·   FAQ   ·   About   ·   Feedback   ·   Privacy   ·   Terms