jennifer asked

Best itinerary - 5 day driving trip that stays in Canada

This is not sightseeing/vacation trip but it would be nice to see a few sights along the way.

Toronto (Canada) Calgary (Alberta)

Duncan from Calgary
Jennifer,
I have done this drive six times and I always find something new along the way. The landscapes of northern Ontario across the top of Lake Superior are superb. Depending on how long you wish to drive each day, will dictate your stops and where you overnight. From Sudbury to Sault Ste. Marie is mining country where you could find the odd Moose on the road. The trip should take about 7 hrs from Toronto to Sault Ste. Marie. The Soo Locks are well worth seeing as the primary connect for shipping from Lake Superior to the lower Great Lakes - spend the night there. From Sault Ste. Marie to Thunder Bay is about an 8 hr run. Most of the drive is near the northern shore of Lake Superior. At this time of year the fall colours should be spectacular. Stop at the Visitors' Centre in Nipigon to see "Paddle to the Sea" - [wooden carving]. It's on the south side of the road. The book was written in the early '40s by Holling C. Holling and was a staple for myself and my friends growing up in Toronto in the 50s. Just before you arrive in Thunder Bay several views to the south reveal the Sleeping Giant in Lake Superior [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeping_Giant_(Ontario) ], while a little further along you'll come to the Terry Fox Memorial which has an overview of Terry Fox's feats/story and a spectacular view of the Lake. Overnight in Thunder Bay. The run from Thunder Bay to Winnipeg is again typical northern Ontario Precambrian shield terrane. Kakabeka Falls is a nice spot just outside of Thunder Bay. Dryden looks like mission-control by the Forestry department to manage forest fires in NW Ontario. I can't comment that much on Winnipeg as I haven't spent a great deal of time in that neck of the woods. Over night in Winnipeg. The run from Winnipeg to Regina then Regina to Calgary is pretty straight forward, and you can watch your dog run away for three days. Regina to Calgary is pretty darn flat and once you see the mountains, they don't appear to be getting any closer for hours. Hope this helps a little bit, but I didn't do justice to Manitoba or Saskatchewan.

Max
It will be an unforgettable trip at this time of year, with the colors of fall....ooh dream, to drive across Canada!)