Tatum
New Jersey

Toronto

Sports and nature in and around Toronto

I'll be staying in Toronto for a month during the spring for work.  I've stayed in nearby Ottawa before, but this will be my first time in Toronto.  Can someone give me some ideas for places to hike, run, and do other active sport activities?  Since I have to work and I only have a month, I don't think I'll be venturing to anywhere far, so something in the city or close by would be great.

Hanela from London

The Lower Don River Trail is a great places to go running. 20km stretch from Lakeshore near the Beaches to Edwards Gardens up north. 

1. Lower Don River Trail (attraction)
  2. Edwards Gardens (attraction)

Kim from Canada

In the west: You'll love the Lakeshore Trails at Humber Bay Shores. It's is a great option and you'll see many other runners and cyclist. You can take it all the way from Exhibition Placeto Marie Curtis Park East Beach if you like longer distances. High Park is another great option in the west with it's trails and open spaces, tennis courts, baseball diamonds and soccer fields.

In the east: The Beaches has lots of great routes as well and farther east to the edge of the city is the amazing Scarborough Bluffs ParkRiverdale Park East is where you'll want to head for amazing views and similar facilities to High Park along the Lower Don River Trail

Downtown: Depending on the weather, a great day trip is heading over to the Toronto Islands. They have trails, beaches, sports fields, you can rent bikes and it's only a 10min ferry ride from downtown. Cycling is big in Toronto and you'll find Bixi rental stand all over. 

Those are my top picks but the best thing about Toronto is it's green spaces with parks, ravines and green belts across the city. Where ever you end up staying ask around for the green spaces near by you usually don't have to travel more then a couple blocks to find places where people gather for pick-up games of just about anything!

1. Humber Bay Shores (neighborhood)
  2. Exhibition Place (attraction)
  3. Marie Curtis Park East Beach (attraction)
  4. High Park (attraction)
  5. The Beaches (attraction)
  6. Scarborough Bluffs Park (attraction)
  7. Riverdale Park East (attraction)
  8. Lower Don River Trail (attraction)
  9. Toronto Islands (attraction)
  10. Bixi rental stand (attraction)

Kira from Los Angeles

The Beltline Trail it my favorite place to hike there. It's a lovely long trail that's about 5-ish miles long through beautiful trees and woods. It can be a bit crowded, especially in the warm weather when people are anxious to get outside, but it's worth it!

1. Beltline Trail (attraction)