Julie
Nashville

Toronto

Best things to do for free in Toronto?

I'm going to be in Toronto for a weekend before a big trip and don't want to spend too much money while I'm there. How can I explore the city for free or on a low budget? I love local culture, museums, being outside, art & music. Thanks!

Marina from Toronto

Some of my favorite things to do in Toronto are completely free! The Riverdale Farm is the coolest thing to do for free in Toronto. It's seriously a farm in the middle of the city. Cows, horses, sheep, pigs, chickens and a cute little garden.

You have spend a few hours walking through the beautiful High Park. The greenery here is so breathtakingly beautiful, one of Toronto's prettiest places, that's for sure. You can hike, fish, and even visit a zoo! It's a great area to roam around for a few hours. I love walking through the St. Lawrence Market. Hunderds of local vendors selling hand made goods, fruits & veggies, cheese, pies, etc.. it's a great way to blend in with the locals here. If you love shoes, The Bata Shoe Museum is free and a unique museum here in Toronto. It's actually really interesting, they have Elton John, Marilyn Monroe, John Lennon's shoes. 

1. Toronto (city)
  2. Riverdale Farm (attraction)
  3. High Park (attraction)
  4. St. Lawrence Market (restaurant)
  5. The Bata Shoe Museum (attraction)

Jenny from Toronto, Ontario

get a day TTC metro pass. use the subway/streetcar system to go to Royal Ontario Museum and Art Gallery of Ontario. Head down to the Distillery District for dinner or coffee.

1. Royal Ontario Museum (attraction)
  2. Art Gallery of Ontario (attraction)
  3. Distillery District (attraction)

Janine from Seattle

Love Marina's answer! I've been to Riverdale Farm and thought it was a really cute area and they people that own it are so nice! The Gardiner Museum is free and one of my favorite museums in the city because of all the ceramic sculptures. Super beautiful, and delicate! 

1. Riverdale Farm (attraction)
  2. Gardiner Museum (attraction)