Miriam
Seattle

Miriam from Seattle asked

Best places to kayak or canoe in southern Ontario?

I'll be visiting Toronto and I'd like to go kayaking or canoeing while I'm up there.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what cities or rivers and lakes that I should look into around there?  Even better if you have any recommendations for specific companies as we'll have to rent gear.  Thanks!

Toronto   Canada   Ontario (Canada)

Robyn from Toronto

The Beaches are great. Check out Ashbridge's Bay Park. Depending on the day the water can be a bit choppy there. The water in and around the islands are great as well and usually sheltered and calm. The best canoeing has to be in Algonquin Park. The provincial park is around 3 hours north of Toronto and you can rent canoes fromThe Portage Store

JR
Great answer Robyn! Nice to see you in here helping out!

Miriam
Thanks Robyn! 3 hours away from Toronto sounds doable. I'll look into this!

1. The Beaches (attraction)
  2. Ashbridge's Bay Park (attraction)
  3. Algonquin Park (park)
  4. The Portage Store (attraction)
Glen from Toronto

I haven't done it myself, but I've heard from friends about the great kayak/canoe tours around and through Toronto Islands.  It's actually pretty calm around there and really relaxing.  If you are looking for a driving trip, there are great attractions a few hours north of Toronto near Barrie.

Miriam
Cool. Thanks for the tip Glen!

1. Toronto Islands (attraction)
  2. Barrie (city)
Tanya from Ottawa

Grand River in Brantford or Hamilton Harbour but both are pretty calm waters, not quite bustling rapids. Maybe around Toronto Island. Toronto 

Miriam
Awesome, Tanya. I meant to mention this, but I'm looking for more calm waters, so this is perfect. I'll look into it. Thank you for the recommendation!

Robyn
Toronto Beaches are great. Check out Ashbridges Bay Beach. Depending on the day the water can be a bit choppy there. The water in and around the islands are great as well and usually sheltered and calm. The best canoeing has to be in Algonquin Park. The provincial park is around 3 hours north of Toronto and you can rent canoes from the Portage Store.

1. Brantford (city)
  2. Hamilton Harbour (attraction)
  3. Toronto (city)
Kate from Toronto

Harbourfront Canoe & Kayak Centre rents all the necessary equipment to paddle out to the Toronto Islands. You could also paddle the The Humber River. Enjoy! 

Miriam
Thank you, Kate!

1. Harbourfront Canoe & Kayak Centre (attraction)
  2. Toronto Islands (attraction)
  3. The Humber River (attraction)
Krishnateja

If you go to Harbourfront Centre, you should see a company there that rents out kayaks and canoes for about $80 / day.  Its fun to kayak all the way to Toronto Islands

Miriam
Thank you, Krishnateja!

1. Harbourfront (attraction)
  2. Toronto Islands (attraction)
Cassie from Toronto

There are lots of lakes and rivers in southern ontario to kayak and canoe through. As for Toronto itself, the only area to do it really is at the Harbourfront, which is right in downtown. You can rent kayaks and/or canoes for the day, and then paddle over to the  Toronto Islands and through the lagoons, which is Toronto's best kept secret. For some exploration via paddle boat outside the core of the city, I would reccomend Toronto Adventures (http://torontoadventures.ca/) which do day excursions and provide the kayaks and canoes. Hope this helps!

Miriam
Oh, good to know that I can kayak and canoe right in Toronto! Thanks so much for the head's up, Cassie!

1. Harbourfront (attraction)
  2. Toronto Islands (attraction)