Amy
Florida

Amy from Florida asked

Best neighborhoods in Toronto?

I'm looking at places to stay in Toronto, but I know nothing about the neighborhoods.

Could you tell me which neighborhoods are the best as far as

- Good location. Either close to public transportation or within walking distance to major attractions.

- Safe

- Good food nearby

Also, please let me know if there are any dangerous neighborhoods I should avoid. 

Toronto

Gregory from Toronto

West Queen West is hip and happening: everything in and around Trinity - Bellwoods is considered WqW. Liberty Village has funky restos, coffee shops and shopping and tons of young pros live there. The Ossington is the hottest strip in town with funky barbers, great food, total Bohemian feel. Dundas West (west of Bathhurst) has some of Toronto's Top new restos including Hudson Kitchen and Patois. While still west of downtown head back east on Dundas and poke about Toronto's wonderful Kensington Market: Get your hair cut Crows Nest Barbershop, just up the street wonderful second hand clothing at Courage My Love Inc and late night partying and drinks at Cold Tea

1. West Queen West (attraction)
  2. Trinity - Bellwoods (attraction)
  3. Liberty Village (neighborhood)
  4. The Ossington (attraction)
  5. Dundas West (attraction)
  6. Hudson Kitchen (restaurant)
  7. Patois (restaurant)
  8. Kensington Market (neighborhood)
  9. Crows Nest Barbershop (attraction)
  10. Courage My Love Inc (attraction)
  11. Cold Tea (restaurant)
Ty from Milwaukee

I love the Distillery District. A friend of mine works near there and showed me around and it's a great place. Tons of great shopping and dining and all kinds of fun events.

famata
Hello Fellow Traveller, How are you planing your next trip amd where do you want to go? I like your profile here and i will like us to get closer to each other, may be we can make a travell arrengement. Also i have something bothering me i will like to share with you and also send you my pictures through my email cynthiaosma@hotmail.com. Hit me up so we can get started from here.

1. Distillery District (attraction)
l from Toronto

Linda from Toronto

Staying downtown Toronto would be best. So much to see and you have transportation ( subway and transit system) at your doorstep of many hotels. Depending on your budget there is Yorkville which is posh and expensive with hotels , boutiques with great shopping and great restaurants. King and Peter where TIFF bell box ( headquarters for our Film Festival) has good hotels, restaurants and many theatres. Spadina area which is Fashion District and Queen St has great shops and restaurants but would not reccommend staying there. Royal York Hotel across from Union station would be a great location for sightseeing and museums. Yonge st which goes on forever is a fun, touristy street with lots to see and buy along with tourist tacky shops too. Eaton Centre is something to see a huge shopping mall in downtown at Yonge and Queen st. Harbourfront is amazing but lots of construction going on now but good hotels there also and not far to many attractions.

Kim from Canada

You don't mention how long and if you'll be staying in a hotel or an apartment so it's hard to pin it down specific answers.

I wouldn't worry about "dangerous neighbourhoods" as the city it extremely safe and any of the rough parts are in the outskirts and not easily accessible by transit. If you want something in the heart of it all you'll want to stay downtown within 5-10 mins walking distance from the subway loop. There are too many neighbourhoods to run through but check out a breakdown of what's what here http://www.blogto.com/neighbourhoods/

My personal favourite neighbourhoods in Toronto are: Kensington Market Roncesvalles Village Trinity - Bellwoods The Annex The Junction West Queen West - but I'm also a west-end girl at heart <3 - in the east Church Wellesley Village Leslieville Danforth Ave The Beaches are my top picks. Though some of them are further out and more about livable neighbourhoods then they are for visitors or attractions. 

Downtown the main area for visitors tends to be Distillery District Entertainment District Yonge-Dundas Square Yorkville Queen Street West

In terms of hotels I've had friends and family highly recommend the Eaton Chelsea, Toronto as a central location downtown, right on the subway. Hotels in Toronto are pricey but I will say this is not an area where you want to cut corners. Budget accommodations are rife with problems and I wouldn't recommend. Airbnb is a great option for Toronto with tons and tons of great downtown options in condos that allow you to stay a bit off the main strips while still being at the centre of it all.

The best thing about Toronto is that it's driven by food! As one of the largest internationally influenced cities with a huge focus on multiculturalism and diversity you'll be able to find any food under the sun here and pretty much all of it is delicious. A great local guide to food and restaurants that you can sort by location or cuisine can be found at Urbanspoon.com, or just ask around, locals have their favourite spots and often those are the best. 

If you narrow down where you'll be staying I'd love to throw some more specific recommendations your way! 

1. Kensington Market (neighborhood)
  2. Roncesvalles Village (attraction)
  3. Trinity - Bellwoods (attraction)
  4. The Annex (attraction)
  5. The Junction (attraction)
  6. West Queen West (attraction)
  7. Church Wellesley Village (attraction)
  8. Leslieville (attraction)
  9. Danforth Ave (attraction)
  10. The Beaches (attraction)
  11. Distillery District (attraction)
  12. Entertainment District (attraction)
  13. Yonge-Dundas Square (attraction)
  14. Yorkville (attraction)
  15. Queen Street West (neighborhood)
  16. Eaton Chelsea, Toronto (hotel)