Kristofer

Toronto

An October trip to Toronto

Hello,
I am planning to visit Toronto in October this year. This is my rare opportunity to go to as many awesome places near Toronto as possible. I am thinking about going for places like hiking trails, parks like Algonquin, Niagara Falls and more. A few things I need advice about are:
1. Places that I can go to, from Toronto. I am lookin​g for places close to nature like I have already said, Algonquin Park and Niagara. It would be great if someone could name more places.
2. When I came to Toronto a few years back, we stayed at a furnished apartment rental​. I can't afford such apartments for this trip as I am alone and I am on a budget for this trip. I would like suggestions on budget friendly accommodation options, safe and hygienic, anywhere near Toronto.
If anyone could talk about Canada weather during August-September and provide any advice, it will be a bonus for me.

Details:

Budget: Not too cheap nor too expensive. Flexible in between. 

Companions: Most probably none, but there is a small chance a friend also join me for the trip.

Time: October this year. 

Duration: 3 weeks to 1 month maximum.

Marie-France from Toronto

Hi Kristofer,

You didn't say if you'll have access to a car or not, but even if you don't, there is a special bus service called Parkbus that travels to various parks and conservation areas around Toronto. Their page will give you some ideas of places you can go: https://www.parkbus.ca/destinations.

There is also a number of short nature walks you can do within the city itself! Many visitors are not aware of these green areas, as some are pretty well hidden. Check out my post: http://bigtravelnut.com/7-nature-walks-in-toronto/

For accommodation, I would recommend using AirBnB. They have rooms (in people's homes) and separate apartments in a variety of price ranges. 

You're asking about Canada weather during August-September. Well, Canada extends from the Arctic to south of the 45th parallel, so you'll need to be more specific. :) For the places you're likely to visit (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver - just guessing here) August is high summer so temperatures will be warm to very hot. September is a perfect month in most Canadian cities. After the first week of October, you're solidly into fall, even as far south as Toronto.

Hope this helps.

Marie

Andy

For hiking, think about Collingwood. The Bruce Trail goes through there with lots of great views across Georgian Bay. About places to stay, there are a couple of good hostels in Toronto. Also, while you're in the city, don't forget Toronto Islands. A ferry ride and you're in a world of your own. As others have said, October can be really nice and summer like, or rainy and cold. Be prepared for anything.

1. Collingwood (city)
  2. Bruce Trail (attraction)
  3. Georgian Bay (attraction)
  4. Toronto Islands (attraction)

Joan

Toronto weather in October can be quite variable (ie from the beginning to the end of the month) . We have had anything from mid to high teens at the outset to freezing rain at the end. As far as natural settings in the vicinity of Toronto; check out conservation areas such as Crawford Lake, Milton, ON, Canadaand see what the closest spot to Toronto is where you can hike a portion of the Bruce Trail. Tobermoryand the Georgian Bay Area are beautiful for hiking but at least 3 hours away-- not a day trip. Conservation areas in Prince Edward are also lovely but at least 2 1/2 hours away. Traffic is always bad when going in and out of the city. So you will need to allow for extra time. Most of these spots are more difficult to reach without a car. As far as inexpensive accomodation, airbnb comes to mind. If Toronto Airbnb's are out of your budget, you could check out others outside the city but on GO train line. GO trains are a quick efficient way to get in and out of the city. The Toronto Islands, the Beaches Park, and High Park are a few natural areas right in the city where you can stroll. 

1. Toronto (city)
  2. Bruce Trail (attraction)
  3. Tobermory (attraction)
  4. Georgian Bay (attraction)
  5. Prince Edward (attraction)
  6. Toronto Islands (attraction)
  7. Beaches Park (attraction)
  8. High Park (attraction)

Simon from Toronto

The city is cracking down on AirBNB. Not a great way to look for accomodation in Toronto.

Lissa from Toronto

Kristofer if you are interested in nature this is a place you should visit, Bonnechere Caves. Regarded as one of the best examples of limestone cave formation,which occurs by acidic waters slowly eating away at the rock, these deep underground caves stay cool year round and will amaze you. 

Since you are planning to go to Algonquin Park, here is the info from Algonquin to go to the caves.

From Algonquin Park:

Highway #60 to Eganville. At the traffic lights in Eganville turn right on Highway 41 and cross the bridge. Continue on 41 for about a kilometre and turn left either before or after the Catholic church. (either road gets you there) The church is the one you see on Eganvilles skyscape as you drive the long hill down into town as you arrive.

Another place you might consider is Bruce Peninsula National ParkHere is a brief description of the park: Towering cedars have been dwelling on the peninsulas massive cliffs for centuries and still appear to stand as a part of a wild and untouched Canadian gem. From the Georgian Bay’s crystalline waters to the limestone barrens and deep forests, The Bruce offers visitors the chance to delve into nature’s breathtaking beauty. 

The weather in August is quiet warm as an example today is 28 degrees celsius. Most of the month of August will be warm. Between 25 an 28. However since your planning to travel North of TorontoI suggest that you bring clothes for summer and fall weather including rain gear. September will be cooler between 18 and 25 degrees celsius. The weather has been strange this summer. July was rainy and mostly cool. The real summer just arrived yesterday. Hopefully it will last until the end of September.

Hope this helps. Have a wonderful time in Ontario.

1. Bonnechere Caves (attraction)
  2. Algonquin Park (attraction)
  3. Bruce Peninsula National Park (attraction)
  4. Georgian Bay (attraction)
  5. Toronto (city)