Coralie
Brussels

Top 5 worst cities you've ever visited?

Hey guys, what would be your Top 5 for the worst cities you've ever visited?  

I was just going through a friend's photo album, she was apparently enjoying her city trip, and I thought "Oh god she's down there... this is one of the worst cities I've ever ever been". Thought it would be funny if you could share your experience on this topic!

Brad from Corona

I usually like most places because it seems everywhere has something to offer.

1. Las Vegas: Feels like you need a shower 20 minutes after you arrive.

2. Perth: Is just boring. No food culture to speak of and overall low on the fun scale.

3. Houston: It's like Dallas only not. Do yourself a favor and go to Austin instead.

4. Cleveland: Because Cleveland.

1. Las Vegas (city)
  2. Perth (attraction)
  3. Houston (city)
  4. Austin (city)
  5. Cleveland (city)

Janelle from Charleston

1. San Francisco.  Overpriced, dirty, overrun with panhandlers, and full of unfriendly, elitist liberals who don't tolerate anyone not as far to the left as they are very well.  It's described as "New York West," but NYC is a much friendlier, more welcoming, more diverse and more pleasant place to visit.

2. Houston.  It's hot, steamy and sprawling.  It takes 30 minutes to get anywhere, and a lack of zoning laws means the city is dominated by office parks and strip malls and has no soul.  Good thing Austin and San Antonio are only a few hours away.

3. Kuala Lumpur.  Another soulless concrete jungle.  And Islam casts a negative pall over the place - it feels stifled and repressed and makes the locals reserved and unwelcoming.  Singapore, just 200 miles to the south, is a much more happening place.

4. Phoenix.  See Houston, but with a drier climate and no trees.  It's a sprawling, soulless, cultural wasteland and gets my vote as the ugliest city in the USA.  Not to mention it has a high crime rate and a huge gang problem.  All it's good for is a stop for gas on the way to Tucson, which is much more representative of everything good about Arizona.

5. Warsaw Many people I know who have gone there say it's a happening place if you know where to go, but I didn't see anything happening when I was there.  All I saw were a lot of gray Stalinist buildings and cheap cafeterias serving bad food.  Give it a miss and head straight to Krakow, Gdansk, Lodz or Czestochowa. 

Honourable Mention: Manchester (United Kingdom).   I'm originally from Liverpool...need I say more?

1. San Francisco (city)
  2. Houston (city)
  3. Kuala Lumpur (city)
  4. Phoenix (city)
  5. Warsaw (city)
  6. Manchester (United Kingdom) (city)

Jinny from Los Angeles

Hi Coralie, 

The following 5 cities aren't necessarily the worst cities I've been to, but are definitely the Top 5 Overrated Cities I've Visited (more details on my blog). 

1. Miami. Overcrowded beach, over priced tourist trap. I recommend Charleston instead if you want to have a nice beach trip. 

2. Geneva, Switzerland. Not as beautiful or big as I had expected. I recommend Lausanne instead if you want to see the beautiful Swiss Alps.

3. Los Angeles. You're just sitting in traffic all day. I recommend San Francisco instead just because it's 10x better and no need for a car.

4. Milan, Italy. Worst place to shop. I recommend Florence instead for shopping trip.

5. Macau. It's like Vegas, but without all the flashiness, parties and fun. I recommend Hong Kong instead for more things to do. 

Travelholicdiary.com

1. Miami (city)
  2. Geneva (city)
  3. Los Angeles (city)
  4. Milan (city)
  5. Macau (attraction)

I love this question! Here are my least favorites:

1. Denver - I'm sorry--I know a lot of nice people who love Denver but I absolutely hated it. Somewhere between the altitude and the dreariness of it, I couldn't wait to leave. 

2. Honolulu - Again, I'm sorry--I know I'm in the minority but wow, did I not like Honolulu. I thought it seemed like a city constructed for spring breakers and tourists. Also, it drove me crazy that everyone was wearing Hawaiian shirts--every time I entered a store I couldn't tell who was help and who was a customer. I also thought it was seriously ugly. 

3. Venice Beach - Now, just to be clear, I like the city of Venice--it's just Venice Beach I don't like. The incense smell alone is reason enough never to go there in my opinion. 

4. Arles - I don't know what it is, but there's something dark about this place. The people aren't very nice, it's more expensive than the rest of France and generally a depressing place to be. I can never quite put my finger on why I dislike this place so much, but every time I pass through I hate it just a little bit more. 

5. Bitola - I was here for about 48 hours and had it been 49 I would have started climbing the walls. The countryside surrounding it was lovely (although very, very monotonous) but this city really doesn't have much to offer except cafes. Not a very pretty place, either. 

1. Denver (city)
  2. Honolulu (city)
  3. Venice Beach (attraction)
  4. Arles (city)
  5. Bitola (city)
  6. Los Angeles (city)

Ross from Fort Collins

Agreeing with justin! Belize City was ruff, dirty, intimidating, and very unfriendly! i felt I made the wrong call taking a group through the city just to get to our water taxi. had to have a lot of belkins to calm the nerves! And WTF Belize why are your beers only 10oz? You ripped me off 2oz, every beer. By my calculations Belize owes me about 860oz of beer lol

http://wanderingross.com      

1. Belize City (city)

Peter from Copenhagen

Khartoum, Sudan - the city where fun is outlawed, and the food actively tries to kill you. 

Juba, South Sudan - more fun than Khartoum, but far worse infrastructure. I hear they have paved roads now, but in 2006 all they had were dirt roads, goats, and terrible goat-derived foods.

Shanghai, China - admittedly I was only there for 3 days, and the weather was intensely smoggy for all that time. I would go back to give it another shot.

1. Khartoum (attraction)
  2. South Sudan (attraction)
  3. Shanghai (city)

My Top 5:

Belize City

Belize City

Belize City

Belize City

Belize City

Stifling even in December. Dirty. Constant tourisms hustles. 

1. Belize City (city)

Romy from Tel Aviv

Lima, the city is kind of boring and I stayed there for 10 days which was probably 9 more days than I should have. Not to mention that I had some bad personal stuff going on while I was there which definitely didn't help my overall impression with the place.

Istanbul, I know I'm in the minority but I really didn't enjoy the city. It was crowded and hot and the people weren't very nice. I have to admit I have only been there for less than a day so I might need to give it another try but my first impression wasn't very positive.

I didn't really like Paris as well, but once again I've spent barely a day there and I was about 12 so I think I should give it another try before I decide what I think of the place..

And the last I can think about is Bangkok, boring city with lots and lots of traffic and pollution. 

1. Lima (attraction)
  2. Istanbul (city)

Ian from United Kingdom

I've been around the world, and passed through some pretty uninspiring places (some places I've only seen from the window of a bus/coach, and that's been enough for me - stand up Indianapolis in particular), but, sticking to places I've actually been to ...

3rd place: Díli. A city with no signposts, dilapidated pavements, scruffy buildings - the place looks a bit like they're still building it after the Indonesians destroyed part of it in 1999 ...

2nd place: Chisinau. Capital of the poorest country in Europe, and it shows.  The roads flood after only 20 minutes of rain.  The architecture is Soviet, yes, but here it looks like modern upkeep methods haven't penetrated too deeply, unlike nearby Tiraspol which is a whole world away and one of the cleanest and neatest cities I've been to.

The loser: Stoke on Trent.  Grim, grey, dour. :D

1. Indianapolis (city)
  2. Díli (city)
  3. Chisinau (city)
  4. Tiraspol (attraction)
  5. Stoke on Trent (city)

B from Denver

Los Angeles- can it please fall into the ocean, traffic, water thieves & outsize egos.

2. Athens - smog, traffic

3. Florida- Any city in Florida - humid, bugs, bugs and more bugs

4. Louisville- Dirty, smog, bad water, bad traffic, a downtown building that resembles a male body part (even lit up at night in pink/flesh tones, less than 40% of the students graduate from high school....need I say more? 

5. Las Vegas - It has become a suburb of L.A., rude drivers, rude people, high, high crime (daily murders), no history (anything over 10 years old is torn done and discarded, smog, only 36% of the kids graduate from high schools and those schools rank as the worst in the nation.  Not a good place to live OR visit.

As to Cleveland...why?  The rock and roll hall of fame, Lake Erie, pro sports, traffic is easy to handle?  I think the person who picked Cleveland is thinking of the 60's.

1. Los Angeles (city)
  2. Athens (city)
  3. Florida (attraction)
  4. Louisville (city)
  5. Las Vegas (city)
  6. Cleveland (city)

michael from Newark (Ohio)

Mexico City a hole above ground. To Cleveland haters you obviously do not know what the city has to offer. The no 1 symphphany orchestra in the u.s., one of the m o st highly regarded natural history museums there is, the highest concentration of museums in a 1 square mile area and the 4th most cuturally diverse city in america.

1. Mexico City (city)
  2. Cleveland (city)

Danny from Atlanta

Marseille: place was sketchville which started the minute I arrived with my cabbie trying to sell me shoes out of the trunk. First time I felt unsafe in Europe.  

Zagreb, Croatia: in stark contrast to the amazing coastal cities, the capital is a drab, post Soviet hell hole.  

Guatemala City: get out as fast as you can. 

Las Vegas: where every thing wrong and tacky thrives.  

Ponce, Puerto Rico: what should be a charming coastal getaway is sadly a boarded up ghost town.

1. Marseille (city)
  2. Zagreb (city)
  3. Guatemala City (city)
  4. Las Vegas (city)
  5. Ponce (city)

Jenna from Oakville, Ontario

This is a hard one, I always try and find some beauty in any country I visit. However, there is one place where I wouldn't go back to and that is... 

New DelhiIt looks beautiful, it sounds wonderful... but I went in a season where it was stifling hot.. and it was unbearably hot, crowded and people treated me with utter disrespect! 

Unfortunate :( huh? 

- Jenna
http://www.giveforgranted.com 

1. New Delhi (city)

Hey, Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know this question was just published on Huffington Post! Congratulations if your least favorite city made the list! Thank you for all your great answers and of course, feel free to share on your social media channels!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/trippy/trippycom-members-announc_b_8028942.html

Cole from Edmonton

Lloydminster Alberta, Canada is the worst place I've been.  Rig pigs will pull up beside you as you walk on the sidewalk, only to blanket you in a thick choking cloud of diesel exhaust as they blast away from you in their over-priced joy wagons.  This happened to me six different times in one night!

1. Lloydminster (city)

Sheritta from Washington, DC

Las Vegas- It's the girl at the party who tries way too hard to get noticed. The place reeks of desperation.  

Istanbul - I just don't understand the hype. Overcrowded, traffic ridden city, filled with chain smokers hocking carpets, tea and turkish delight on every corner. The Asia side is much better.  

Atlanta- Screams nouveau riche pretense. 

St Lucia- The whole island. Horrible airport.  

San Juan- The ugly step-sister of PR.

1. Las Vegas (city)
  2. Istanbul (city)
  3. Atlanta (city)
  4. St Lucia (attraction)
  5. San Juan (city)

Joanna from Oakland

Fun question! Two on my list..

1) Pattaya, Thailand. Extremely touristy and depressing. Only reason I was there was b/c it was a stop on a group tour. 

2) Niagara Falls- The falls itself are stunning. The surrounding area is SO gawdy and touristy, both on the US side. Go for the falls and then leave.

1. Pattaya (city)
  2. Niagara Falls (amusement park)

Maria

Las Vegas. No soul or poetry. Hate it. It's lipstick on a pig.  

(Several small cities in Southern California that are more lowrent than you realize... Riverside (California), El Cajon, Panorama City, et al.) 

Phoenix. Hot and lacking sophistication. 

Tijuana. Unrefined and sketchy. 

Cairo. Loved and loathed.  

Los Angeles. Currently love and loathe.

1. Las Vegas (city)
  2. Southern California (attraction)
  3. Riverside (California) (attraction)
  4. El Cajon (city)
  5. Panorama City (attraction)
  6. Phoenix (city)
  7. Tijuana (city)
  8. Cairo (city)
  9. Los Angeles (city)

1. Venice, Italy - Such an inconvenient place, no matter how "neat" and "unique" it is, it's just not overly easy to navigate or get around, also quite dingy. Lugging suitcases up and down bridges (all with stairs) and through dark alley ways at 4am to catch a boat to the airport was not fun.

2. Milan, Italy - Not a whole lot to do or see, quite dingy also. Service in most places we went to was bad, every restaurant we went to screwed up at least one thing on our order.

3. Olbia, Italy - Literally a cruise ship port and nothing else. There is nothing to do, horrid transport and although it's on the water no good beaches are anywhere near by.

4. Ingolstadt, Germany - Went here because we thought it might be interesting as the birthplace of the Illuminati and the setting for Frankenstein but it was quite uneventful. There's not a lot to do, or see and their major sites aren't really worth taking a trip to see them. If you want to see a nice old town with a city wall and castle go to Nuremberg

5. Mazatlan, Mexico - Not the place for a beach vacation. Most resorts are actually quite a ways away from the town. There are strips of beach that you can't even really use and it's just not that interesting. We came across a lot of sketchy people and never really felt overly comfortable or like there was much to do.

2. Milan (city)
  3. Olbia (city)
  4. Ingolstadt (city)
  5. Mazatlan (attraction)
  6. Nuremberg (attraction)

Denise from New Orleans

It might have been more circumstantial, but I really disliked Moscow. My luggage was lost en route, then there was a baggage strike, everyone was smoking & drinking everywhere we went, the traffic was unlike anything I've ever seen and it generally seemed miserable. I also experienced two circumstances where my safety was compromised.

I also did not enjoy my time in the Dominican Republic. I'm just not a person that can sit on the beach for a week straight or head to a resort and keep my eyes closed the entire time.  Even if I was a beach person, there are so many nicer beach options out there.  I ventured into Santo Domingo- and overall did not enjoy it. FIRST and only of my trips that I've cut short. I caught an early flight back to JFK!

Thirdly, Cincinnati is not my kind of town. Everything shuts down at close of business, it feels like a ghost town, the homeless folks are rather aggressive and it lacked culture and diversity.

I've only got three so far!

1. Moscow (city)
  2. Dominican Republic (attraction)
  3. Cincinnati (city)

Jaleh from Baltimore

Lisbon- not because I didn't like it, but just because I spent five days there and that was about three more than the city needed. 

Madrid- maybe it'd be different if I lived in the city, but I found it hard to connect to and enjoyed the surrounding small towns much more. 

Killarney- love Ireland, but this place just felt so touristy to me and really geared towards people with a ton of money. Lovely Killarney National Park, but that wasn't quite enough to make the trip worth it.

1. Lisbon (city)
  2. Madrid (city)
  3. Killarney (city)
  4. Killarney National Park (attraction)

Ruthann from Midwest City

1. Houston Texas- climate:hot and humid - humans: cold and calculating; snakes and bugs everywhere.

2. Corpus Christi, Texas - hot, humid on on the gulf with ocean-fishy smells and bugs.

3. Honolulu  Hawaii- Big city with palm trees - Windy like Chicago, beaches sectioned off and unapproachable.  Go to any of the "other" islands.

4. Cleveland or Columbus Ohio - blah blah blah

5. Portland, Oregon or Seattle, Washington - green but dreary and rainy 250 days a year!  no wonder they're in the top ten cities for suicides.

If you've been to Las Vegas and disliked it then you're not a world traveler - it's  the only city with a little of the tropics, the desert, Italy, France, Egypt, modern, medival, etc. etc.  - all within 5 miles - you can walk for hours outside or inside and see diverse architecture and encounter people from a dozen plus countries ( the tourists and the staff ).  You can see the city from the top of the Eiffel Tower, a revolving restaurant and the High Roller. Eating selections that are boundless - and opportunities to sample menu selections from the top twenty chefs to two dozen area food trucks (several that have won national competitions). Obviously one would have to be oblivious to one's surroundings to dislike the attractions of Vegas - there's more than just slot machines on the strip and you don't have to go out of your way to find it!

1. Houston (city)
  2. Corpus Christi (city)
  3. Honolulu (city)
  4. Cleveland (city)
  5. Columbus (city)
  6. Portland (city)
  7. Seattle (city)
  8. Las Vegas (city)

Pat from Dallas, Texas

Las Vegas is one big joke! Fake,  fake, fake! The weather there SUCKS! 

1. Las Vegas (city)

Gwaii from New York, New York

Detroit. No admirable qualities what so ever. depressing depressing depressing....did I mention depressing

1. Detroit (city)

Ban from Calgary

Dubai. There's something unforgivably artificial about skyscrapers surrounded by desert. Chicago, LA and New York have skyscrapers because the land is so expensive, so building up is a natural reaction. But Dubai? What does a square mile of desert cost nowadays? It's turned architecture into a pissing contest.

Not even lipstick on a pig, Dubai is lipstick on a pig carcass in a desert. 

1. Dubai (city)

Bruce from Washington, District of Columbia

Are Dallas, Phoenix and Atlanta all the same city?  Nothing to distinguish any of them from the others.  They all are antiseptic without much really to offer, and they are all really hot weather-wise.  And, I would love to know how Atlanta got the Olympics anyway.  It just does not impress me as the type of unique place that deserves it.  There are lots of places in the U.S. much better suited, like Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, etc., all of which have uniqueness of some sort (charm, history, great food, beauty, entertainment, etc.). 

1. Dallas (city)
  2. Phoenix (city)
  3. Atlanta (city)
  4. Chicago (city)
  5. Boston (city)
  6. San Francisco (city)

Peter from Bloomington (Indiana)

I do believe Lagos has earned its reputation as the worst city on earth. Dirty, hostile, ANGRY, crime-ridden, corrupt, nasty, brutish. World's worst traffic.

Beyond that, I second the nomination of Las Vegas (I hate fundamentally fake, crass, monetized experiences), and I'd say the same for Atlantic City, which now offers the bonus quality of decrepitude and decay, and Reno, which offers all the dubious virtues of Las Vegas, only smaller and lower-rent.

I need one more to round out my list of five? I thought Bristol was ugly.

1. Lagos (attraction)
  2. Las Vegas (city)
  3. Atlantic City (city)
  4. Reno (city)
  5. Bristol (city)

Dabs from Chicago

I generally can find something to like about just about anywhere but I would never return to Tangier, it was absolutely horrible and filled with touts.  I'd love to see some other parts of the country but not that place.  I'm not a huge fan of Las Vegas either, I don't gamble, the shows are expensive, many of the experiences are just fake replicas of cool things like the Eiffel Tower or the canals in Venice.  And it didn't help the last time that it was a billion degrees and I was wandering around in a boot cast.  I can't think of 3 others...

I didn't like Brussels at all the 1st time I visited but you know what?  I gave it another shot and really enjoyed it the 2nd and 3rd time I went.  Except for the driving, both times it was the worst experience I've ever had in a car!

1. Tangier (city)
  2. Las Vegas (city)
  3. Brussels (city)

Audrey from North Carolina

There's always something good in every city. You just have to look for it.

Steve from Scottsdale

El Paso, TX- I've traveled all over the world and to every one of the 50 states in the U.S. and to every major city in the U.S.  Where do I begin?  El Paso doesn't have the greenery that other desert locations like Phoenix have.  It has an uninspiring downtown area with buildings too far apart to create an impressive skyline.  Very few buildings with charm exist in this city.  Also, it's proximity to Mexico (Ciudad Juarez) and the crime and drugs really hurts.  I remember some giving me a tour of the city and showing me some "nicer" neighborhoods- didn't see anything that I liked.  Too bad- Texas is a great state and El Paso has generally good weather.

1. El Paso (city)

Joe from Little Rock

1. Los Angeles, California - Treacherous, boring, disgusting, lack of personality.

2. Dallas - Boring and has Stars hockey team and Cowboys football

3. Athens, Greece - just go there and tell me your opinion after your make it past the airport.

4. Rome, Italy - gotta love the gypsies and pickpockets and awful traffic.

5. Madrid, Spain - Blah

6. Warsaw, Poland - Blah, Blah. Bluh.

7. Moscow, Russia - Terrible infrastructure and aging crapola city.

1. Los Angeles (city)
  2. Dallas (city)
  3. Athens (city)
  5. Madrid (attraction)
  6. Warsaw (city)
  7. Moscow (city)

Randall from Lynden

Being from a small town and more inclined to head into the backcountry than any city, I can hardly qualify as an expert on "best" or "worst" cities in the world. And of the ones listed in this story, Athens, Greece is the only one I've ever been to. While I wouldn't say Athens is one of my favorite cities, I do say I'm glad to have seen it. One good thing about the city is the Acropolis, and another is the park next to the palace across the street from Syntagma Square. The worst thing about Athens, though, is its urban sprawl; wanting a break from being in the downtown area, I decided to go to the other side of the Attica Peninsula from Athens, so I got on a bus and rode for about 85 minutes to a little village known as Mati ... and it took an hour to get out of the city! 

1. Athens (city)

Tim from Denver

Portland, Oregon. Once a beautiful city divided by a beautiful river it has become a little San Francisco. Homeless everywhere, parks with adolescent runaways smoking or injecting their drugs. The political air is dooming Portland. From naked bicycle rides to a very nasty anarchistic number of people it is a dangerous place to be after dark. The civil leaders allow this and, in fact, leave the city hall restrooms open 24/7 to allow the transients who care enough to pee out of view. Those that don't care are free to go against any tree or building. To top that off Portland loves taxes and smelly recycling laws. Poop regularly flows into the river and city management does nothing to stop it. Portland is a disgusting and dangerous city. 

1. Portland (city)

sarah from Arlington, Tennessee

I think personally one of THE WORST cities on the planet is MemphisTN. every time I go through Memphis I feel like it just gets worse and worse. Memphis is a polluted dump that offers very unsanitary places to eat. all you can smell is smoke and all you can see are drunk/high people.

1. Memphis (city)

Olivier from Amsterdam

Caracas is by far the worst city I ever visited. Very dangerous. It has got the 2nd highest murder rate in the world and that is based on 'official' numbers. 

It is polluted and congested and has got beautiful landmarks like the Torre de David' which is a vertical slum.

Also the people are really helpful and friendly there..

1. Caracas (city)

There aren't many places that I can't find something worthwhile in but these are my least favourite 5:

Colombo Big and dirty in such a beautiful country.

Narbonne Too touristy and brash

Eindhoven Too industrial

Bari Just a big scary port city in the lovely region of Puglia 

Manchester (United Kingdom) in general, although parts of town are nice

1. Colombo (city)
  2. Narbonne (city)
  3. Eindhoven (attraction)
  4. Bari (city)
  5. Puglia (attraction)
  6. Manchester (United Kingdom) (city)

Lyn from Manhattan Beach

1. Phoenix (city)
  2. Arles (city)
  3. Las Vegas (city)
  4. Cleveland (city)
  5. Houston (city)

Ed from Santa Monica

DakarDakar is  the  Avril Lavigne of  tourist harrasment. Fine in intentional, measured doses even if it's nothing to brag about or make into a daily habit. Generally speaking, Street vendors have no country. It's an Americon attitude! Sometimes you have the mental energy to deal with it and other times not. My top spots for getting hassled, to the point of intimidation and obnoxiousness,  however  have not been only on this itinerary, They are:

#1-Boom! listen up,  without a doubt,  Ocho RiosJamacia is swaggerific---the Sacha Baron Cohen of tourist traps.  Everywhere you go it stirs things  up and you  either love it or hate it---time share offers, drugs, prostitution and hair braiding. "What do ya want, Mi a go aks di ooman dem.” There was a local guy  who became part of my landscape as we docked each week,  who went by the name of " Two Scoops". 2 was the Wilt Chamberlain of  Street Vendors.  He broke just about every  sales record  you could think of,  putting up numbers so unthinkable that nobody would  ever, ever reach them. Two Scoops,  Hay Mon, I salute you. It's too bad you're in jail now with your  friends Snap, Crackle and Pop.

#2. , CartagenaColombia "hola my friend...".  You can barely walk on the sidewalk without having locals literally F2F, hawking candy, cigarettes and mobile minutes. In addition,  if you take a picture of something, even an historical landmark, they will charge you a "tax" because it is their country.

#3.  The whole bloody country called IndiaIndia-, by virtue of such inhumanity as the caste system, is full of beggars, thieves and cons. EVERYBODY has his/her hand out.

#4. -- PPL (Gypsy's) will literally reach into your pocket and steal your change in Pisa, ItalyItaly.
#5  Ah! Mexico,where life is cheap, death is rich, and the buzzards are never unhappy. Then there is the informal economy  of Gringoville-Cabo San Lucas, MexicoMexico So much junk, so little time, so many pesos, The Patron Saints of Tacos, bootleg DVDs and cut-rate clothing. 

#6  IstanbulIstanbul. The locals act as if they are insulted if you don’t go into their store and "Buy My Carpet"! Is there anything sadder than being Carpet Salesman of the year?  How about still carrying the card in your wallet nine years later (True Story).

#7 ParisParis  Under The Eiffel Tower-TCN's (3rd Country Nationals)“pretend” to find jewelry on the ground and try to convince you to buy it. It starts with  " Do you speak English?"

1. Dakar (attraction)
  2. Ocho Rios (attraction)
  3. India (attraction)
  4. Italy (country)
  5. Mexico (attraction)
  6. Istanbul (city)
  8. Cartagena (city)

Sue from Daytona Beach

Reno is just a dirtier Las Vegas, if you can imagine. So depressed and depressing.

1. Reno (city)

Maria from Fort Worth

Wisconsin Dells- overpriced cheesy tourist trap

1. Wisconsin Dells (city)

Purely from the standpoint of traffic, I go with Bangkok.  The mass transit is just getting started so unless you begin your transport near the line and end near the line-you will not move one inch at rush hour.  I mean not one single inch.  I couldn't take it.  I very much enjoyed other aspects of the city, but that single feature was insane.

Tonco from London

1. Madrid (city)
  2. Sofia (city)
  3. Dublin (attraction)

Abdullah from Riyadh

2. Kuala Lumpur (city)
  3. Hong Kong (attraction)
  4. Stuttgart (city)
  5. Langkawi Island (attraction)

Colleen from Opelika

This was so interesting to read... I thought i was the only person in the world that didn't like Venice!  Some of these places everyone mentioned I have been planning to visit, but will have to reconsider.   I have had good travel experiences but want to give this a try!  

1. Venice - hard to get around, dirty.  did not find it to be the romantic city portrayed in brochures.  Gondoliers were rude.  

2. Palermo -   too busy, traffic, dirty... enjoyed the nearby beach town of Mondello much better.  We rented a nice apartment there and loved it,  although the sardines and sea urchin were not my taste in food.  

3. Key West- several people mentioned this one.  its like spring break.. bars, drunks, homeless people.  hotels too expensive for what you get.

4. Belize City-  I saw this one mentioned several times too.  I actually stayed on an island off Belize called Ambergris Caye, Belize.  it was dirty, seemed unsafe, and the scuba diving was not great, but did not dive the blue hole. 

5.  Panama City Beach - Beautiful beaches but too touristy.  too many high rise condos, all you can eat buffets, and corn syrupy cocktails in souvenir glasses.  nearby Seagrove Beach or Seaside (Florida) are more my style.  Nice restaurants and wine bars!

This was fun!  What a great question! 

2. Palermo (city)
  3. Mondello (attraction)
  4. Key West (city)
  5. Belize City (city)
  6. Ambergris Caye, Belize (attraction)
  7. Panama City Beach (city)
  8. Seagrove Beach (attraction)
  9. Seaside (Florida) (city)

Courtney from San Diego

1.Denver I agree with you Courtney Robinson. I just don't get it. And Colorado is AMAZING! I just don't get what's so great about Denver.

2. Johannesburg It's really hard for me to be hating on cities- so let me say I don't hate Johannesburg. I just didn't care for anything about it and the people were so chilly.

3. Las Vegas I enjoy myself when I'm there, truthfully. Mostly, I hate that people love it so much. Whoever thinks they can get Venice at the Venetian, Brazil at the Rio or Paris at Paris - or any sort of mimicked experience- at huge hotels with no windows, no clocks and too much plastic- needs to travel more. 

1. Denver (city)
  2. Johannesburg (city)
  3. Las Vegas (city)

Wade from Yelm, Washington

1. Phoenix (city)
  2. Billings (city)
  3. Salt Lake City (city)
  4. Houston (city)
  5. Los Angeles (city)

Maurine from Riverside

St. Louis, MO  Weather is miserable, traffic is bad, a feeling of danger wherever you go.  The landscape is deceivingly pretty, but even that doesn't make up for the negatives after a few days.

1. St. Louis (city)

Rafael from Worcester (Massachusetts)

Kolkata, India

The heat, humidity, dirt, traffic, chaos overpopulation, poverty and the smell in this city is just unbearable.

1. Kolkata (city)

Daniel from Saint Petersburg (Florida)

I really hated Samara, Russia. That's where the Russians build their space stuff.  Everything there is dismal. The buildings are old looking and in disrepair.  Even the replica rocket that took up Sputnik that's sits in a tiny little park, is all streaking with rust. The few cars that are there weave slowly down the streets because the streets are full of the worst potholes I`ve ever seen. AND NOBODY SMILES !  Not even if you smile at them. Seems  like everyone is unhappy.  Saint Petersburg (Russia) was almost as bad. I will never return to Russia

1. Samara (city)
  2. Saint Petersburg (Russia) (attraction)

Mahmood from Karachi

Well to me Dhaka is thee worst city on this planet as there are no places to hang out.  All shops and restaurants close down after 7pm in short this city literally sucks.  The worst city and a nightmare for anyone who goes there.

1. Dhaka (city)

Bob from Wayne (New Jersey)

New York $hity.  Dirty, confusing, congested.  
Seems like not a word of English is spoken.  Since the Commie deBozio took over the crime rate is through the roof in New York City and the toll to get into this toilet is $14.00!

1. New York City (city)

Gil from Akron

I have been to 3 of your 10. 1. A couple of times in Los Angeles, it was interesting but that was 30 years ago the last time. Saw the jumping cars back then and Hollywood and Vine. 2. Just got back from Las Vegas. Again, interesting but extremely expensive apart from gambling which I did not do. On the Strip, panhandlers everywhere and the gaudy surreal loud flavor after a while got to you. I'd go back, but NOT ON A WEEKEND. Fremont Street was ultra interesting. Lipstick on a pig...maybe. 3. Now comes Cleveland: I periodically have to go there on business. I'd rather not. I try to avoid Cleveland like the proverbial plague. Not really much there and what is has someone with their hand out. The Cleveland Museum of Art is second to none, a treasured jewel surrounded by a landfill. The roads are terrible and poorly arranged, the motorists are extremely rude and dangerous, the air on some days is yellow and smelly. What is good, they have some of the best neighborhood restaurants and cafes and one on one the people are actually friendly in some areas. Otherwise, avoid it altogether.

1. Los Angeles (city)
  2. Las Vegas (city)
  3. Cleveland (city)
  4. The Cleveland Museum of Art (attraction)

Fiona from Weesp

I find something depressing about Lisbon. I've been several times now and each time I do my best to see it's charm but fail miserably. It's run down and shabby with hardly a flower to be seen. The national dish is salted cod and rather unpleasant. The terraces lack warmth. The people are kind and yet colourless. Sorry Lisbon.

1. Lisbon (city)

Susan from Russell Township, Ohio

Corona, California because ignorant people seem to gravitate to this part of California.

1. Corona (city)

David

Beirut, Lebanon. Filthy, ugly, rude people, expensive and to top it off: the worse country in the world to drive. 

1. Beirut (city)

Thomas from Greenport, New York

Atlanta Georgia- at night (and during the day when conventions are in town)the place is like a scene from the "walking dead" with all the panhandler and street folks asking for hand outs.

Dallas Texas- what city, where is it ?

Port-au-Prince Haiti- scary scary place - if they were going to give the Caribbean an enema, thats where they would do it.

Tijuana Mexico-  even a good donkey show isn't worth the visit, especially at night.

Joplin Missouri - only thing going for the place is that Mickey Mantle was born there.

1. Atlanta (city)
  2. Dallas (city)
  3. Port-au-Prince (city)
  4. Tijuana (city)
  5. Joplin (city)

Terry from Avon, Illinois

Key West.........it is good the first day after that unless you are a drinker you are in trouble.......no real pretty beaches to lie on, it is all rocky, bars everywhere and not much else to do............I will stick to Fort Lauderdale, where there are wonderful restaurants and lots to do besides just drinking.

1. Key West (city)

Kimberly from Chicago, Illinois

I LOVE Las Vegas ~ If one has only ventured on the strip....then an opinion of that area should only be commented on. Otherwise, any comment not venturing out to many other areas in this GREAT affordable city, is simply 'superficial judgement'. I have lived in Las Vegas 21 years from Chicago, another city I love. Living in Las Vegas I have found it to be FABULOUS!!! Great weather and views...Blue Skies, colorful sunrises and sunsets!! Wonderful creative people, incredibly talented musicians, the music scene is every night!! Art Shows, Galleries, Shopping deals are phenomenal. Wine tastings are endless, great poetry groups, amazing dancers, drumming groups, beautiful hiking areas, the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area are spectacular and incredibly spiritual~!! Horseback riding, Boating, Skiing and the best entertainment, delicious food and chefs from around the world. Endless culture. Fantastic real estate deals too!!... It is too bad anyone would be judgemental before experiencing 'ALL of Las Vegas', beyond only the gambling and casinos. Very sad to see your comment Maria Muse, I wonder how long you were in Las Vegas to be so negative and what areas you experienced? 

1. Las Vegas (city)
  2. Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area (attraction)

Bob from Bellevue, Pennsylvania

Start with Manila and its environs.  Leon, Nicaragua is a close second. Ciudad Juarez, Mexico and Valparaiso, Chile should be included, too.  Probably would complete the list with Detroit/Windsor.

1. Manila (attraction)
  2. Leon (attraction)
  3. Ciudad Juarez (city)
  4. Valparaiso (city)
  5. Detroit (city)

brian from Newark (New York)

Three words: New York City

1. New York City (city)

Carol from Albuquerque, New Mexico

Lagos. Huge, filthy city! They don't have rush hour, they have "go slows" where the traffic is so backed up you can do an entire week's shopping from your car from the vendors that walk past your car. Once a month, they stop traffic to burn trash on the sides of the roads. Then the burned trash is left there to blow out onto the streets, sidewalks, etc until the next month's burn.

1. Lagos (attraction)

Lynne from Charleston

#1 Naples, Italy! HORRIBLE! The garbage collectors have been on strike off and on for the past 10+ years, so depending on the state of the mafia's mood, the rotten garbage can be piled high and crawling with rats. I could tell the architecture was spectacular--under a healthy coat of grime. Night is definitely the time to tour, when the low light blurs the filth. Except you have to be careful at night because of the crime. And forget driving anywhere, public transit is spotty, so you taxis are your "best" bet, and by best I mean, if you don't value your life. In a 20 minute taxi drive, we went the wrong way down a one-way street, ran another car off the road (and the driver yelled at the other driver for it!), made a 4th lane on a 2 lane road, and went from 0 to 40 in the 30' stretch between red lights. I thought San Juan PR traffic and taxis were crazy, but they're heaven in comparison!

#2 Honolulu, HI. Hell hole!

#3 San Juan, PR

#4 Cancun, MX

#5 Indianapolis, IN

1. Naples (attraction)
  2. Honolulu (city)
  3. San Juan (city)
  4. Cancun (attraction)
  5. Indianapolis (city)

Los Angeles, the traffic, the people, the low brain power. 

The Dirty "D" (Detroit) the politicians have conned the whole state one too many times!!! 

Miami

Brownsville, Texas

1. Los Angeles (city)
  2. Detroit (city)
  3. New York City (city)
  4. Miami (city)
  5. Brownsville (city)

Dave from Houston

New York City- The armpit of the western world 

Las Vegas- Fake everything 

Detroit- A dump 

Cleveland - Boring 

Tijuana - Junky

1. New York City (city)
  2. Las Vegas (city)
  3. Detroit (city)
  4. Cleveland (city)
  5. Tijuana (city)

Cathy from Brussels

Such an interesting thread - no wonder it's been running for so long!

It is very rare that I come across a place that I don't find something to enjoy, and it's fun to see that many of the places mentioned above are cities that I remember with some affection.  However, there are a few that are so unremittingly, irredeemably awful that they are worthy of special regard for this august award.

A.  Port Moresby, by far the scariest place I've ever visited, which is no mean feat, given that I lived in, survived and even enjoyed Big Bad Johannesburg for over 20 years.  It's never a good thing if bottle stores have to be equipped with those double security doors which leave you in limbo as one closes before the other one opens, and suffice to say that arguments in Moresby are settled with pangas, no questions asked.

B. Bamako, a place that I had to visit many times on business.  Dusty, chaotic, and penitentially hot with none of the redeeming features of most other African cities.  The only consolation I can draw from my time in Bamako was that I was being paid to be there.  To add to the horror, I once narrowly escaped having to spend Christmas there when the ground staff at Bamako's hellhole of an airport went on strike, leaving me and several hundred others stranded for 4 days.

C. Port Hedland also deserves to be singled out as a town utterly devoid of any redeeming feature.  I have spent a lot of time in mining towns over the years (and temper my expectations accordingly), but never one as utterly soulless as Hedland.  Whatever massive salaries are paid to induce people to live here, they aren't enough. 

D. Dubai.  A never ending shopping mall in a sand pit.  You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.  And I like pigs a whole lot more than I like Dubai.

E. Ciudad del Este. A town that appears solely composed of shopping malls selling rip off Asian merchandise.  Until the sun goes down, and the drug dealers emerge to offer a different range of merchandise.

Also an honourable mention for Niagara Falls. The Giant Hershey bar says it all. 

1. Port Moresby (city)
  2. Bamako (city)
  3. Port Hedland (city)
  4. Dubai (city)
  5. Ciudad del Este (city)
  6. Niagara Falls (city)

Fede from Buenos Aires

Manchester (United Kingdom) I've lived there for a year. Boring, ugly, dirty, awful weather. Full of drugs and booze

Orlando Nothing there besides Disney, Universal, just highways

Liverpool Again, awful weather. Really boring, you can see the whole city in one afternoon

Tampa Not that bad but doesn't have much to do. Just a small walk able area

5 Glasgow Just avoid it and go to Edinburgh which is great

1. Manchester (United Kingdom) (city)
  2. Orlando (city)
  3. Liverpool (city)
  4. Tampa (city)
  5. Glasgow (city)

Theresa from Floresville

I personally find it hard to say I do not like any particular city. It totally depends on what your looking for.  Someone mentioned they did not like Denver Colorado, I just got back from a trip there and found it amazing!  All of nature, the mountains and scenery.  But if your not an outdoor person, you probably wouldn't like it.  For instance, Houston Texas is not my favorite place due to all the traffic and congestion.  Just my opinion!

1. Denver (city)
  2. Houston (city)

Jeyme from Tannum Sands

1.Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Ocho is easy if you're staying in an All Inclusive Resort, for others, take care. Locals will try and take advantage in any way they can and often in a very intimidating way. I have some crazy horror stories in Ocho Rios. Whilst there are some great sights such as Blue Hole, in Negril there are other less touristy "blue holes" and the vibe here is much more relaxing. You might be okay as part of a tour group, but I would encourage solo travellers to be careful.

2. Moscow, Russia

Okay, there are amazing sites to see here! I would not trade seeing the Kremlin up close and personal. However I found this place seriously intimidating and confronting as a female foreigner. It can be difficult to communicate unless you stick to tourist areas (which I don't really do well). I much prefer St Petersburg.

3. Pattaya, Thailand

Too many tourists. Don't stay long enough to realise why it's the single most popular destination for single white men. Just saying. 

4. Al Qahirah, Egypt

Apart from the AMAZING Pyramids of Giza, Cairo was also another intimidating city that I have visited. Simply being in traffic takes your anxiety up a few notches and without a Local Guide, it's hard to tell the dodgy neighbourhoods from the pleasant. I highly advise covering up in Egypt and not standing out as a tourist.

5. Athens, Greece

In my opinion, it was a very grim place. Whilst I did enjoy seeing Acropolis and other historic sites. The centre of Athens made me super uncomfortable. It's not very welcoming and vibrates at an extremely low frequency.

1. Ocho Rios (attraction)
  2. Moscow (city)
  3. Pattaya (city)
  4. Al Qahirah (attraction)
  5. Athens (city)

Cynthia

1. Casablanca, Morocco - Piles of trash everywhere in the streets, an ugly ugly place.

(Fez was delightful.)

2. Tunica, MS - Watching poor folks pour pennies into slot machines, depressing as hell.

3. Jacksonville, FL - Boring as hell. No there there.

4. Fort Smith, AK - Can't buy a beer unless you belong to a club.

5. Gela, Sicily - If you like hot wind go there.

1. Casablanca (city)
  2. Tunica (city)
  3. Jacksonville (city)
  4. Fort Smith (attraction)
  5. Gela (attraction)

Asan from San Francisco

It's a very difficult question. I travel a lot thanks to my business. Each city has its own character. I think that people answer this question based on their first perception about a place or whether they feel safe or comfortable in this place as if they're in their homes. For example, when I first visited Nairobi, I realized that there were some security problems in the city, thus in my next visits to this place, I tried to avoid to spend too much time in the city. Karachi may be another example for a city where there are lots of security concerns. But these are purely facts, I mean "reality of our world". However when I think about Nairobi, I also think about the wild animals which can be encountered even in the city. I think that this might be interesting for a person from New York where wild animals can only be seen in a Hollywood film. Also, in Karachi, I tasted the most delicious meat of my life, and discovered a hidden palace in the city where I also visited one of the most interesting exhibitions of my life regarding old maps.  

Once, I'd been in Nadi, the main Fiji island and practically there's nothing to do here except stay for one night in a hotel to catch the ferry for the paradisiacal islands in the morning. However, if you stroll in the main street of Nadi, you can encounter a local market and enjoy the moment of being in this faraway place.

1. Nairobi (city)
  2. Karachi (city)
  3. Nadi (attraction)

Norman

Detroit, do I have to say anything else?

1. Detroit (city)

J from Michigan

Chicago, IL is like a gorgeous man who is exciting to be around but lacking soul, heart or depth.  On the superficial front the city is beautiful with awesome architecture, a tourist dream with theater and museums in close proximity  and a city laden with sidewalks which makes it walker friendly. But underneath it is expensive and very dirty, the natives are stressed and the people living in the "better neighborhoods" are unfriendly and icy.  It is an  evil city with a high crime rate such as human trafficking, drug dealing and government corruption.  Lastly, the people who run the city totally ignore the well being of 2/3 of the population.  If you visit stay one or two days then leave.   Actually avoid the place altogether and visit Detroit, MI which needs the revenue and is on a comeback to hopefully a better city than it was before or visit Grand Rapids, MI which is a smaller, but more tasteful version of Chicago.  Wisconsin has some wonderful places to tour as well.

Thanks for reading my post.

1. Chicago (city)
  2. Grand Rapids (city)

Linda J from Fort Worth, Texas

#1.  Boston, MA The drive circles, the inability to go anywhere in a straight line, the cold shoulder attitude of the residents--all this made me decide my first trip to Boston was definitely my last.

#2.  Houston, TX Humidity and mosquitos. Need I say more?

#3.  Greater Phoenix, AZ including Mesa and Scottsdale. Just a sprawling, ugly city.

#4.  Modesto, CA,  Just because it's Modesto, California.

#5.  Portland, Oregon.  The bridges, the bridges, the bridges, and the bridges.

1. Boston (city)
  2. Houston (city)
  3. Phoenix (city)
  4. Modesto (city)
  5. Portland (city)

Elizabeth from Dallas

Barcelona is a city I will never visit again. The people were extremely unfriendly, even the servers in the restaurants! The city just seems so crowded with dreary, unhappy people. I thought this might be true of the whole country until my recent trip to Bilbao and A Coruna. People there are much friendlier and the cities are both gorgeous! We had a great time and the food was amazing.

1. Barcelona (city)
  2. Bilbao (city)
  3. A Coruna (city)

Karri from Corte Madera, California

#1 Bucharest, Romania- Dirtiest, most rundown place I've ever been, and I've traveled all over Europe and elsewhere! Had money stolen from me, was charged for a First Class train ticket, but given a Second Class one and stray dogs all around the station......  So incredibly depressing!!! 

#2 Reno, Nevada- All I can say is "HOT & BORING"!!!

#3  Madrid, Spain- Hot, Boring, and just didn't like the atmosphere at all.  Couldn't wait to get on a train and go anywhere else!

1. Bucharest (city)
  2. Reno (city)
  3. Madrid (attraction)

William from Flushing, New York

Great Question!  Here are my worst picks in descending order:

5) New Orleans, LA - good food but dark vibe.

4) Chicago, IL - don't know why; always have felt unwelcome there.

3) Kolkata, India - too many people.

2) Las Vegas, NV - a totally phony town; what a pit!

1) Dhaka, Bangladesh - COMPLETELY out of control; WORST BY FAR.

1. New Orleans (city)
  2. Chicago (city)
  3. Kolkata (city)
  4. Las Vegas (city)
  5. Dhaka (city)

I don't usually hate places, but I have taken a dislike to a couple of places which I avoid when possible

1) Nashville  the traffic was terrible and when I wanted to take  tour of the city, the tour people said there would be no rebooking or refund if we didn't get there in time to take the tour (because of traffic).  I don't care for country music.

2) Orlando or at least the part of it where Disney World is.  I liked the original Disneyland back when Walt Disney was alive.  But in this area there are toll roads and traffic and the parks are very much more expensive than they need to be.  There are just too many people.

3) Hilton Head Island which maybe isn't a city.  I don't like covenants, and they are so aggressively 'green' that it isn't safe to drive at night because you can't see where you are going.

4) Guayaquil - the port authorities held us up wanting a bribe and it was way too hot and humid.

As for the rest - I didn't care for Panama City, Panama, or San Andres Island and I don't like to drive in Philadelphia, NYC or Boston and I avoid going to Atlanta, but it doesn't rise to the level of hate or even great dislike.

1. Nashville (city)
  2. Orlando (city)
  3. Hilton Head Island (city)
  4. Guayaquil (city)

JoAnn

New Orleans,with druggies and drunks and filth everywhere. Not for families.

1. New Orleans (city)

Cecilia

Detroit......filthy, high crime rate, unappealing. 

Miami.......hot, humid, overcrowded, expensive!  

Kennebunkport, Maine....rude, haughty people 

Tampa......hot, humid, overcrowded, roads bogged down with traffic jams, waste lots of time driving to your desired destination  

Jacksonville....difficult to drive around downtown, parking can be expensive and is limited, lot of street people on the streets in the late evening, always major road construction going on down town on the interstates with constant changes to the traffic patterns

Inez

DEFINITELY Paris. i love love and everything but this place just makes me feel the complete opposite. it is hard to have a good time when you are surrounded by rude people+ are guilty to buy anything since everything is insanely overpriced! i really judge people who love paris so much lol i feel like you have to be rich and obnoxious to appreciate that sort of thing. dont get me wrong, i love france and i have many camp friends from lyon, toulouse etc. paris is just completely different. if you talk to anyone from lyon or toulouse they'd probably say the same thing haha 

2. San Diego (city)
  3. Cancun (attraction)
  4. Surfers Paradise (city)
  5. Denpasar City (attraction)

Diep from Thuy Anh, Thái Bình, Vietnam

1. Hanoi (city)
  2. Hạ Long Bay (attraction)
  4. Hong Kong (city)
  5. Phnom Penh (city)

Rachel from New York City

St. LouisIt was so bland and without character. Bad food, and dead-at-night downtown. Kind of place where Hooters is a star restaurant. It seemed the worst of Middle America. 

1. St. Louis (city)

Paco from San Francisco

1) Houston, Texas: This one doesn't need any explaining--just step outside for five minutes, and if the heat, the fat people, and strip malls don't convince you, the mosquitoes will.

2) Los Angeles, CA: Mean ugly people, shallow beautiful people, and more pollution-spewing cars than you can shake a selfie stick at.

1. Houston (city)
  2. Los Angeles (city)

Margaret from Manchester, Connecticut

Malaga, Spain. The city lacked any specific or interesting architectural style. Dining options didn't impress. The beach was horrid. People were sketchy.

1. Malaga (city)

Christopher from Tampa, Florida

I have been in some hell holes overseas but here is a list of places people frequent in the US that I hate to visit (I ma actually listing 6):

San Juan, PR--Traffic, traffic, traffic!!! Dirty, slummy and high crime.  At night, no one stops at red lights or stop signs in fear of being car jacked.  50% or more of population is unemployed.  Pollution everywhere, tire an glass on beaches, garbage in streets and old sewers that stink and overflow into the streets and ocean.  Old San Juan was actually worth the time to explore--the rest is an armpit.  

Cincinnati, OH--A virtual dearth of restaurants and a downtown that shutters up at 5:00 PM.  Unless you enjoy Subway and a strange local chili that tastes like cinnamon, stay away.

Miami (including Ft. Lauderdale up to West Palm Beach), FL--Its like visiting a 3rd world slum unless you are worth $10 million or more.  Crime, gangs and bad traffic add to the aura.

Fresno, CA--Hot and ugly.  The only reason to go there is that there is a Costco and a Trader Joe's.

Wilkes Barre/Scranton, PA--The traditional Mafia has been replaced by heroin dealers and gangs.  The food scene is pizza and McDonalds.  Public schools are the worst in US.

Most of New Jersey but especially Camden--Wow! How do you describe a town in which the street drug of choice is called "Wet" (a combination of pot and PCP or embalming fluid).  This town is the worst of the worst--a virtual hellscape with absolutely no redeeming qualities.  Stay away!

1. San Juan (city)
  2. Cincinnati (city)
  3. Miami (city)
  4. Fresno (city)
  5. Wilkes Barre (city)
  6. Scranton (city)
  7. New Jersey (attraction)
  8. Camden (attraction)

Lily from Israel

Athens, Greece. So dirty and smelly. Never again!

1. Athens (city)

Ja

1 Marrakech - don't go unless you're travelling with a man, two women together? - pass (no, literally, pass it by!)

2 London - filthy, the people are vile (I speak as an Englishwoman), rip-off central

3 I'll stick at just the two as I don't like being negative

1. Marrakech (city)

Sarah from London, England

this is hard- every trip is a great trip!

BrusselsIt rained the whole time...

Playa de las AmericasJust tourism...

3. AlanyaBut we haven't been for nearly 20 years....

4. CancunBeautiful country, but Cancun isn't for me. 

5. Dubai

Interesting, but wouldn't hurry back 

1. Brussels (city)
  2. Playa de las Americas (attraction)
  3. Alanya (city)
  4. Cancun (attraction)
  5. Dubai (city)

Rocky from Atlanta

Mexico City - Crowded, hot, loose animals everywhere and the airport is on my top 5 worst ever

Brussels - Off the beaten path is just dirty and sad, if you stay in the tourist area then it seems OK, but that is where all the tourists are ;-(

Las Vegas - Cliche everything 

1. Mexico City (city)
  2. Brussels (city)
  3. Las Vegas (city)

Erik from New York City
  1. San Pedro Sula - the second largest city in Honduras tops my list. It's the murder capital of the world, surpassing Ciudad Juarez (which seems to get a lot of attention in the US media since it is on our border). When we arrived in San Pedro we were told to stay in our hotel and order in food and not leave for our own personal safety. Which is fine, because as far as I can tell there is nothing to see there anyway. The only thing we visited was the mall and its boring food court and cinema.
  2. Jakarta - I love Indonesia but can't stand its gridlocked, dirty capital. It's absolutely impossible to get around on by foot - you can't even cross most streets and there are no sidewalks. As a tourist there is not much to see in this megalopolis, but you probably need to pass through on your way in or out of the country.
  3. Agra - Go snap a picture at the Taj Mahal, then get out immediately. I tried to do that but came down with a severe case of "Delhi Belly" and got trapped in this hell hole.
  4. Mandalay Region - No idea why we spent all day on a bus traveling across Burma to get here. Mandalay is a very boring city with absolutely nothing going for it - couldn't even find any decent place to eat, one thing even the worst cities in the world still offer.
  5. Guayaquil - Ecuador's huge, sketchy, port city. There were riots when we were there and we were trapped in the hotel for the most part, but apparently we didn't miss much.

Stories from some of these places on our blog: Around This World.

1. San Pedro Sula (city)
  2. Jakarta (city)
  3. Agra (city)
  4. Mandalay Region (attraction)
  5. Guayaquil (city)

Marie-France from Toronto

Funny, I wrote a blog post on this very topic! The 5 worst places I've visited are (in order of reverse horrible-ness):

• Riobamba, Ecuador
  • Dumaguete, the Philippines
  • Alexandria, Egypt
  • Mandalay, Burma
  • Belize City, Belize

I still managed to find a redeeming quality to all of them... except one!

Read http://bigtravelnut.com/5-cities-to-avoid/ to find out which, and why I disliked those places so much. 

Vince from Sarasota

I disagree with Janelle RE: San Francisco. I think it is one of the most beautiful and fun city in the U.S. It looks like an European city. 

As far as worst, I would include Tokyo, Beijing, Shanghai, Frankfurt, overseas and in the US most cities in Alabama, Mississippi, Texas (except Austin), Phoenix, Los Angeles. But there is always some redeeming aspect in every city and I would rather tell you my favorite cities which are more numerous than the worst... 

1. San Francisco (city)
  2. Tokyo (city)
  3. Beijing (city)
  4. Shanghai (attraction)
  5. Frankfurt (city)
  6. Alabama (state)
  7. Mississippi (attraction)
  8. Texas (attraction)
  9. Phoenix (city)
  10. Los Angeles (city)

Carol from Derby

Thank you for putting Cleveland with some of the other fantastic cities.  Los AngelesLas Vegas, ect...its people like you that hurt these cities tourism. apparently you have not been to Cleveland lately. Or Vegas

1. Cleveland (city)
  2. Los Angeles (city)
  3. Las Vegas (city)

Doug from Chicago

- Dallas

- Dallas

- Dallas

- Dallas

- Houston

1. Dallas (city)
  2. Houston (city)

Moaied from Jeddah

Istanbul Unfriendly people, not speak English, over price, and for million time they are not friendly at all.

Turkey Unfriendly people, not speak English, over price, and for million time they are not friendly at all.

Al Qahirah Dirty, Traffic Jam, crowded, unclean easily can get sick

Bonn BORING BORING BORING i been here for 14 day nothing here at all just shisha and shisha and shisha

Delhi Air Pollution, not clean, crowded

Niamey Nothing here boring, no good food,

for more: http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/MoaiedK

1. Istanbul (city)
  2. Turkey (attraction)
  3. Al Qahirah (attraction)
  4. Bonn (city)
  5. Delhi (attraction)
  6. Niamey (attraction)

Jesper from Farum

Hurghada, Egypt. It's dirty, poor and the people there are only after one thing. Your money. They'll gladly lock you up in their stores and refuse to let you out before you buy some of their overpriced crap. Cairo isn't any better. Don't ever god to Egypt. Especially Hurghada.

1. Hurghada (city)
  2. Cairo (city)

Jen from San Diego

1.  New Orleans, US - Hands down, one of the worst.  I have never seen such dilapidated infrastructure.  The bridges, buildings, and roads were old and falling apart.  It was generally dirty and ugly.  The heat was oppressive and the water, smelly and polluted.  Even in the infamous French Quarter (which I had high hopes for) there was lots of litter, and a general culture of porn (much more graphic than Las Vegas), partying, and drinking.  The food culture was exciting for about a day, then it became clear that the food scene had absolutely no variety.

2.  Naples, Italy - The food was good but there was garbage everywhere, the most stray dogs I had ever seen, and lots of people begging for money.  Not a very friendly city.

3.  Athens, Greece - Graffiti everywhere!

4.  Detroit, US - Like an abandoned New Orleans without the oppressive heat. 

5.  Pisa, Italy - After seeing the leaning tower there was nothing to do.

1. New Orleans (city)
  2. Naples (attraction)
  3. Athens (city)
  4. Detroit (city)
  5. Pisa (attraction)

Yvonne from New Martinsville, West Virginia

#1 ... Baton Rouge  HORRIBLE!!!

#2 ... Detroit  AGAIN, HORRIBLE & VERY TRASHY, EWWW

#3 ... San Antonio  I HAVE NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE HOW BAD THIS CITY REALLY IS. OMG  :[

#4 ... Baltimore  I'LL PUT IT THIS WAY:  CRIME, CRIME & MORE CRIME...  YEP

#5 ... Wheeling  POLUTION WILL KILL YOU HERE QUICKLY. INDUSTRIAL ~ NOT SURE I SAW A SINGLE NEIGHBORHOOD HERE, JUST ALL BUSINESS. VERY UNATTRACTIVE AND DIRTY!!!

1. Baton Rouge (attraction)
  2. Detroit (city)
  3. San Antonio (city)
  4. Baltimore (attraction)
  5. Wheeling (attraction)

Jeff from Brooklyn, New York

Houston - David Small is there.

Tallahassee -- The shite.

Buenos Aires-- people like David Small, arrogant pinheaded white jerks.

Dallas -- More rednecks like Mr. Tiny.

Houston -- it's nasty, hot, humid, and smells like white trash. (See David Small Dick.)

1. Houston (city)
  2. Tallahassee (city)
  3. Buenos Aires (city)
  4. Dallas (city)