Benny
Gold Coast

Tokyo

What are the top ramen places in Tokyo?

I’ve been a ramen freak all my life so I want to make sure I experience THE BEST ramen in Tokyo when I go this spring. What would you say are the 5 best ramen places in the city???

Tom from Los Angeles

If you have a couple lifetimes, it might be worth spending one of them just sampling a different Ramen in Japan each of your days.  If like most of us, you have a limited amount of time in Japan, here are some ideas to get your ramen fix on. On your way from the airport or to the airport stop at Nihonbashistation for a collection of ramen shops. There is a collection of shops ranging from traditional Hakata ramen to nouveau ramen cuisine to Tokyo tsukemen.  If you have the time the most popular is Rokurinsha Ramen Street  but be prepared, it often has a long line.  
If this collection of ramenya (Ramen shops) is not enough for you, you should take a day and venture  an hour south of Tokyo to the Shin-Yokohama Ramen Museum where you can both learn the history and art of Ramen. A collection of 10+ Ramenya allow you to taste different ramen from around Japan. Make sure you enter hungry, because you will not want want to eat just 1 ramen.  

After educating yourself on the variety of ramen at the ramen street or museum, I would suggest going to one of the Ramen masters. There are a few Ramenya which have spread across Japan and even have outlets in the NY and LA.  Two of my favorites are Ippudo and Santouka.  Ippudo is the classic, although less stinky, Hakata Ramen and Santouka comes from the colder Hokkaido.  Both are fabulous and consistent across all shops and geography.  

Once you have the basics of ramen down, the true adventure of ramen begins.  It's time to take your tired, burned-out, famished body to the different holes in the wall in every Japanese town.  In true Japanese style, each ramenya follows a basic pattern but each chef find their own way to customize the experience.  In my last trip to Japan, I had 20 ramen in 14 days.  I could easily have kept going if our trip was longer.  Each shop is unique and each ramen a presentation of the the perfect blending of fat, umami and carbs.  

1. Nihonbashi (hotel)
  2. Rokurinsha Ramen Street (attraction)
  3. Shin-Yokohama Ramen Museum (attraction)
  4. Ippudo (attraction)
  5. Santouka (restaurant)

Hannah from Manila

While everyone has their individual preferences, for convenience sake (specific places are notoriously difficult to find in Tokyo) the best place to sample different kinds of ramen would be Tokyo Ramen Street at the Tokyo Station. Rokurinsha (tsukemen) is the most popular but I also like Junk Garage (mazemen). 

There are lots of styles of ramen though, and each place only serves a specific type :) Here are some other places you may be interested to check out. 

Ramen Taishoken (4-28-3 Higashi Ikebukuro, Toshima-ku, Tokyo)

Ramen Jiro(2-16-4 Mita, Minato-ku, Tokyo)

1. Tokyo Station (attraction)
  2. Ramen Taishoken (restaurant)
  3. Ramen Jiro (restaurant)

Brew from Manhattan Beach

Nidaime Tsujita Ramen has a few different locations and their Tsukemen style broth is incredible.  I personally like it with Char Siu (slices of barbecued pork), but its the broth that is the best part.  Here is a link to their locations:  http://www.en.nidaime-tsujita.co.jp/03shop.html

1. Nidaime Tsujita Ramen (restaurant)

Maari from Helsinki

Cannot recommend any ramen places, but the Shin-Yokohama Ramen Museum is worth a trip!

1. Shin-Yokohama Ramen Museum (attraction)

Tiffany from Brisbane

It might be a chain, but Ichiran is just great! Purchase tickets for each item you want at a machine in the entry. Sit in a little booth type thing and they'll bring you a little form (they have them in english) to specify things like noodle hardness, flavour strength, garlic etc. They have a good website that explains how it all works: http://www.ichiran.co.jp/english/index.html. There are several of them around Tokyo. I love the Ichiran - Ikebukuro. Ichiran - Ueno is also good and very easy to find at the train station.

1. Ichiran - Ikebukuro (restaurant)
  2. Ichiran - Ueno (restaurant)

Naoaki from Tokyo

Kyushu Jangara Ramen is my favorite. It is in Harajuku. Check it up.

1. Kyushu Jangara Ramen (restaurant)
  2. Harajuku (neighborhood)

Taichi from Shibuya, Tokyo

AFURI is also great!! It is located around Ebisu and Nakameguro.

1. AFURI (restaurant)

Michael from San Francisco

my favorite ramen place in tokyo is the shop on the top floor of the Yodobashi Camera building in Akihabara.

1. Yodobashi Camera (attraction)