Sergio
Lisbon

Tokyo, Bora Bora, Asia, Southeast Asia, French Polynesia, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia

Suggestions for location for 3 weeks long honeymoon in September?

Hi everybody, I'm getting married in September and I'm starting to plan my honeymoon. We're looking into Japan, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and French Polynesia.  

At the moment we know that we want a mixed trip - first we want something more active, city or adventure trip around Asia. The second part we want to relax and do nothing, just enjoy the scenery and catch some sun. For the second part we are thinking of something like Bora Bora.

Love to get some suggestions from you. In terms of length we are thinking 3 weeks. I know that Bora Bora is very expensive, so maybe I can get some good suggestions from you with other alternatives. Thanks!

David from Atlanta

Hi Sergio,

I can only answer for Japan and Bora Bora. Tokyo may not have a lot of "adventurous" things to do, but it's the ultimate city in Asia and has enough to keep you busy for weeks. You can even take a side-trip to Kyoto for a few days to explore the more traditional side of Japan to balance out the crazy and modern city life of Tokyo. If you stay in Tokyo, I would recommend Shinagawa as a great area for accommodations. The Shinagawa Station is one of the most convenient train stations when it comes to getting around Tokyo. Specifically, the Shinagawa Prince Hotelis not too hard on the budget and is located literally across the street from the station.

Yes, Bora Bora is expensive, but I think it's worth it. My wife and I went there last year for our honeymoon and we couldn't have dreamed of a better place to visit. We stayed at the InterContinental Bora Bora Thalasso Resort & Spa, which is a bit pricey, but many of the resorts there are expensive. However, the service is unbeatable and they truly treat you like royalty. If you're ever going to visit Bora Bora, your honeymoon is the perfect time to do it. 

Here's a blog post with some photos from our trip. Maybe it will convince you! :)

Good luck and congratulations!

1. Shinagawa Station (attraction)
  2. Shinagawa Prince Hotel (hotel)
  3. InterContinental Bora Bora Thalasso Resort & Spa (hotel)

Angeline from Jakarta

Hi Sergio,

Bali could be your answer for all: adventure, parties, nature, sea and sun.... and leisure to do nothing!

I've never been to Bora-Bora, that would be nice for a secluded getaway, but also secluded for more adventure and active lifestyle.

I can give recommendations, but not sure of your budget and preference.

1. Bali (island)

Rick from Buffalo, New York

Cambodia is one of my most favorite countries in the world. Spend at least a week Angkor Wat. Rather than flying all the way to Bora-Bora, which is uber expensive, you can get away to the car free  Gili Islands in Indonesia or even the beautiful Perhentian Islands in Malaysia. They are still a flight away from Cambodia, but waaaaayyyy cheaper. You and your new wife can live like royalty rather than worrying about budgeting in Bora-Bora. 

1. Angkor Wat (attraction)
  2. Indonesia (country)
  3. Perhentian Islands (attraction)
  4. Malaysia (country)
  5. Gili Islands (region)

Melanie from Wollongong

Bora Bora is stunning but if you are into snorkeling then go for Moorea, same feel as BB with the relaxed beaches, beautiful sunshine, but heaps better snorkeling.

1. Bora Bora (island)
  2. Moorea (island)