Jacques
Paris, France

Tokyo

Recommendation for a daytrip around Tokyo?

Hi, I will be travelling to Tokyo this week for 5 days. I was wondering what would be a good day trip around Tokyo? I think Kyoto is probably to far to be visited in one day (leaving in the morning, even early and coming back in the evening, even late). 

Do you have any recommendation? Is it worth going to see Mount Fuji from the countryside?

thanks

Brett from Eindhoven

I'd suggest a visit to Kamakura if you're looking for a day trip from Tokyo.  

If you're adventurous and want to try some good seafood, you can also continue a little further south to Kurobatei in Miura, where they have some outstanding tuna dishes, up to and including the eyeball (reserve in advance).

There's also Tokyo Disneyland which is a fun destination, especially for Tokyo DisneySea, which is pretty one-of-a-kind.

1. Kamakura (city)
  2. Kurobatei (restaurant)
  3. Tokyo Disneyland (attraction)
  4. Tokyo DisneySea (attraction)

Alejandro from Singapore

I went to Nikko this is a beautiful town that has a complex of 13 Shinto Shrines and Buddhist temples in a stunning mountain setting. It is in the Unesco World Heritage list. The ride was about 2+hrs on a train and once there its easy to walk or take local buses. There is so much to see and do in the vicinity that you could make it into a 2+ day trip if you want.

Hakone or Mt. Fuji are also a day great trip. Once there, transportation is somewhat troublesome so I my advice would be to take some sort of tour. The downside is that the surroundings of MT Fuji are full of tourist traps which is where tour guides will make stops.

1. Nikko (attraction)
  2. Hakone (city)
  3. Mt. Fuji (attraction)

Marcia from Sao Paulo

Kawagoe is a nice place too

1. Kawagoe (city)