Andrey
Honolulu

Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Japan

Packing tips for traveler on the move in Japan?

Hello ladies and gents,

If traveling light and solo or mostly solo, what would you pack for a 6-10 day trip? Just a backpack? A backpack and a single carry-on? I have hotels reserved but I am thinking to cancel some and just "wing it" ,as in stay in one place more or less depending on what happens. Assuming one can travel pretty Spartan.

I plan a capsule for 1 night in Osaka and standard hotels in Kyoto and Tokyo. Incidentally, all of the other places I've visited in Asia (ie. Singapore, Philippines, etc.) all have had fantastic English speakers. Did anyone have a communication barrier in Japan? Would love to heard your thoughts!

AJ from United States

I'm going for 2 weeks in April and here's what I'm bringing.  Really though, I'm planning on refining it to cover an indefinite time of travel.  Everything in one 20L backpack:

Greg from Whistler

6-10 days? I'd say you would be fine with just a backpack. You'd be surprised about what you can fit in a backpack and with that being all you need. 

In regards to a language barrier, you should have little or no trouble.  I found everyone to be really nice and no one will try to take advantage of you because you don't speak their language. 

Vicki from New York City

You can totally wing it, in Tokyo, as far as hotels are concerned. If you are small like me, you can go with an empty suitcase:-)

I would bring a carry on because there are a lot of cool things to buy, that you will never see in the US. Try to eat at one of those restaurants that have LIVE FISH swimming around you. They give you a net and you catch your own fish, and then they cook it for you.

There's one in Washington Hotel 

Check out Harajuku StationThe subway is great, but stay away during rush hour, as there is a man with a stick who pushes people in....

My favorite store was Shibuya 109 and the electronics part of town is great Akihabara

1. Washington Hotel (hotel)
  2. Harajuku Station (attraction)
  3. Shibuya 109 (attraction)
  4. Akihabara (attraction)

Natalia from Tokyo

Yes, language is still a barrier in Japan. Hotels should be OK depending on where you stay of course. Hostels are usually fine as well as big chains of cheap business hotels. Traditional ryokan can be problematic so you should learn a couple of phrases. You can leave your stuff with hotel when sightseeing. You can also try airbnb. There are a lot of options in Tokyo. You can also leave your luggage at any train station in one of the boxes. Its usually 300-500 yen per day. I dont think you'd want to go sightseeing with your luggage even if it is a backpack so try looking into these options.