Tera
Utah

Tokyo

One thing you always have to do while in Tokyo?

For those who have been already and for those who already have an itinerary planned out for their first time. Any amazing day trips from the city? Any parks, restaurants, stores, or events that you always make it a point to go to? 

Roni from Tokyo

If you plan to spend a day in Asakusa at any point in your trip, do get some of the best Tonkatsu in the world from a small restaurant called Yutakacho, and then grab a few dorayakis for dessert from Kamejyu!  

1. Asakusa (region)
  2. Yutakacho (attraction)
  3. Kamejyu (restaurant)

Tony from Connecticut

Yup, I always visit a Tokyu Hands store. They are quite unique and you can't find them anywhere else.

http://www.tokyu-hands.co.jp/foreign.html

Tiffy from Philippines

I always visit Asakusa in my previous trips to Tokyo. If you are short of time and can't visit Kyoto in Kansai area, Asakusa can be considered a little slice of Kyoto in the heart of Tokyo.

If the weather is good, have a day trip to Hakone / Gotenba area to see Mt. Fuji.

1. Asakusa (region)
  2. Kyoto (city)
  3. Hakone (attraction)
  4. Gotenba (attraction)
  5. Mt. Fuji (attraction)

Scott from San Francisco

You absolutely must: 

Experience one high end sushi meal.  I found Sushi Iwa  sushi-iwa in Ginza to be one of the great meals of my life.  (note:  Only 6 seats, $200+ pp, not easy to find.  Make a reservation ahead of time via your hotel concierge.)  

Explore the train stations - shop and dine.  Tokyo Station is an experience in itself.  

Have sushi at what might be the best priced and highest quality "chain" I've seen anywhere in the world, Sushi Zanmai (this link is for the Shibuya location but there are a bunch of them).  It's stunning how good it is for the small amount of money you spend.  

Have a dessert at Laduree Ginza, not only do you get world class pastries and treats, you're treated to a fantastic view of Ginza crossing.  It's on the 2nd floor of the Ginza Mitsukoshi.

Go see the weird fashions in Harajuku.

Visit Kappabashi Street (Kappabashi-dori) and check out all of cooking toys, tools and gadgets.  

1. sushi-iwa (attraction)
  2. Tokyo Station (attraction)
  3. Sushi Zanmai (restaurant)
  4. Laduree Ginza (restaurant)
  5. Ginza Mitsukoshi (attraction)
  6. Harajuku (attraction)
  7. Kappabashi Street (attraction)

hope from Seattle

The two things I always end up doing in Tokyo are 1) Visiting Roppongi-Hills Mori Tower. The combo ticket to go to the top to see the Mori Art museum (always seems to have a great exhibit) and the "City View" 360-viewing deck at the top is a must. It's my favorite way to view the city, since you can go out to the open-air roof and not have your photos all tinted with glass reflections, like at most other view sites. Plus you'll get all the iconic view buildings like the Tokyo Tower or Sky Tree in your photos. and 2) Eat crepes! There are cafes and stands all over the city that sell crepes to-go (savory and sweet) that are folded up like an ice-cream cone so you can walk and snack. I try to have them everyday ;)

1. Roppongi-Hills (attraction)

Kendrick

A must do is the crossing at Shinjuku. Images do it no justice. It is One of the busiest crosswalks in the world and is truly a marvel of organized crazy. To be in the middle of it will give you a strange appreciation for the city. Millions of people from all over following unwritten but known rules of movement to get to where they are going. I think it speaks volumes about a simple beauty of the city of Tokyo. It's easy to get as well since most train lines will lead to it. Take video from the train station exit then video as you walk through it to really show people back home the scale of it all. Also the visual and audio bombardmebt of advertising there will give you that feeling of how Tokyo looks in media.

1. Shinjuku (metro area)
  2. Tokyo (city)

Nicole from Funabashi

Personally I love all of the theme restaurants and cafes in Tokyo! There are ones for all sort of themes. Not just the well known Cat cafes, but Alice in Wonderland, Video Game and Vampire themed restaurants, to name a few.

Rebecca from Manchester

You could spend a week in Tokyo and not even see the most amazing parts of the city but a few highlights to me include working round Harajuku as its a really quirky part of Japan. I would also recommend going to the famous Shibuya crossing. Akihabara is also worth going to as it hosts the biggest electronic store in the world, and also the biggest sex shop...

If you're wanting good restaurants then you should google themed cafes in Tokyo. There are many themed cafes including a cat cafe, dungeons cafe, hospital cafe and the sort. They're very interactive!

If you're wanting good day trips then head over to either Kamakura (Kamakura), Hakone or Mt. Fuji for the day. Kamakura is a beautiful Japanese town with beautiful walks and shrines. Hakone has an incredible glass museum and from the top you can see amazing views of Mount Fuji. 

Not too sure if I'm allowed to link on here, but check out my blogs on Tokyo and what is worth doing around the city:

http://www.backpackbecky.com/2013/06/in-place-called-tokyo.html

http://www.backpackbecky.com/2013/07/exploring-around-tokyo.html

1. Harajuku (attraction)
  2. Shibuya (metro area)
  3. Akihabara (attraction)
  4. Kamakura (attraction)
  5. Hakone (attraction)
  6. Mt. Fuji (attraction)