Mark asked

Kid-friendly walking tours in Japan.

We are taking our boys (12 and 9) to Japan for two weeks in late June/early July. On our trip to London with them they loved to go on walking tours. Any recommendations for kid-friendly walking tours in any of the major cities (looking into Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka, but open to others). Kid-friendly = no too long or too far. And they would have to be in English. Thanks!

Tokyo (Japan)   Kyoto (Japan)   Osaka (Japan)

Arsene from Tokyo

It will be tough for 12 to 9 year olds in Japan. In Tokyo, I would go to Asakusa for it's famous temple there.

You can also go to Odaiba, where it has quite a nice science and technology museum and you can also take your kids to see the Asimo (robot) show there. 

The Ueno Park complex also has many museums around that area and it does have very nice park. 

For Kyoto, I would recommend Kiyomizu Kannon-do Temple temple and Gion close by. 

If your boys are into ninja's this could be a good place: http://www.iganinja.jp/en/ 

Not that far from Kyoto. 

1. Asakusa (region)
  2. Odaiba (attraction)
  3. Ueno Park (attraction)
  4. Kiyomizu Kannon-do Temple (attraction)
  5. Gion (attraction)
Emily from Brisbane

Unfortunately I haven't been on guided tour as we DIY our trips to Japan. So I would recommend Googling a guided tour for a complete two week period. I found this site which ranks walking tours by level of difficulty which might be helpful.  http://www.walkjapan.com/tour-levels/

In general Japan is very kid friendly and easy enough to get around with people who speak english in the main cities. If you do decide to DIY you can always ask hotel reception for day tours and points of interest to visit they are very helpful and knowledgeable!