Fyka

Fyka from London asked

Hostel recomendations

It's my first time in Tokyo. What are safe, good areas to stay in with access to local convenience stores (e.g. newsagent, supermarket, subway)? I'd like to stay in fun, clean hostels but with private rooms.

Tokyo (Japan)

Angus from Tokyo

Not sure what you mention by private rooms, but some places like Bunka Hostel Tokyo and IZA Asakusa Guest House (both in Asakusa district) which have family rooms which are very popular. I've stayed in more than a dozen hostels in Tokyo, but all were clean and safe. 

I usually use booking.com or hotel.com and you can generally get a feel of what they are like fro the photos. In my oppinion Asakusa district has most hostels and is suitable for all ages.

Lorraine

Takadanobaba is a great area to stay in-train access easy and has many convenience stores and a shopping street. Have stayed in airbnb places there. Family members have stayed in Sakura Hostel Asakusa and liked them-various ones around the city. You will find Tokyo easy to get around in and most areas safe. Take normal precautions, of course!

1. Takadanobaba (attraction)
  2. Sakura Hostel Asakusa (hotel)
  3. Tokyo (attraction)
Eric

Everywhere is clean and safe in Tokyo. I suggest u to visit Meiji Shrine HondenShinjuku, and Koganei. They are nice park in Tokyo:) enjoy your trip

1. Tokyo (attraction)
  2. Meiji Shrine Honden (attraction)
  3. Shinjuku (metro area)
  4. Koganei (city)
Scott from Cesky Krumlov

There are mini-supermarkets/convenience stores *everywhere*.  This won't be a problem.  You'll pass 2 or 3 every block (or so it seems!)

Safety is also not a huge concern.  If you encounter any problems 99% of the time it's from foreigners.  Japanese wouldn't think to steal from you.  Want to reserve your place at a restaurant table?  Put your phone or wallet on the table.  It'll be there when you get back.

For fun, I'd recommend the Shinjuku district.  Lots of restaurants, shopping and entertainment of all kinds (I won't spoil the surprises).  The main train station is also the best connected in all of Tokyo with 8 different lines all meeting in one point.  A bit overwhelming to navigate through, but you can certainly get anywhere you'd want to go!

Have a great trip!