Javier
Zaragoza

Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto

Experiences in Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto.

I'm planning a trip to Japan and I would like to ask about travel experiences I can do in Tokyo , Hakone and Kyoto. Seeking cultural , gastronomic, sports and social experiences but not of a very high price and beyond traditional sightseeing tours and scheduled . I also like to meet Japanese people who want to practice Spanish and teach their city. Thank you very much for your help.

Jacqui from London

Hi Javier, 

we were in Japan in March and it was incredible! We visited Tokyo, Kyoto and Hakone and our tips can probably help you: 

http://www.neverendinghoneymoon.net/journey-through-japan-two-week-itinerary/

Mari from Tokyo

Exploring IZAKAYASAITO Izakayas in Tokyo is such fun! The price varies, from cheap to expensive, but at those cheap Izakayas under the railways, you would be able to experience real local Japan!

1. IZAKAYASAITO (attraction)

Jeff

https://www.entaro.co has a number of interesting and reasonable experiences in the area. I took the sushi making course and had a great time

Alessandra

Hi Javier, Tokyo is very friendly with tourists and you will find people helping you even if not asked. On the other side, though, people don't speak English well but they do appreciate you trying speaking Japanese. Tokyo is full with things to see, including the famous temple of TokyoSensoji TempleUeno Parkand trekking on Mount Fuji . My suggestion is to experience traditions in Tokyo, such as tea ceremony, Japanese pottery, Ikebana or calligraphy class. I tried with Japanese pottery and I had a blast even if the teacher didn't speak Engilish, but it was very funny. You can try with this cultural organization: YANESEN CENTER. It is located in a tradizional neigbourhood of Tokyo and they have a Fecebook page. Have a good trip!

1. Tokyo (attraction)
  2. Sensoji Temple (attraction)
  3. Ueno Park (attraction)
  4. Mount Fuji (attraction)
  5. YANESEN CENTER (attraction)

Alexandra from Brussels, Belgium

You should try meet-up ! It's a great app to meet people, especially locals or people living there for a long time. Japanese people are not the most open people in general but some of them really like contact with westerners and will take part in things like meet-up or language practice cafés. 

You can always try toursbylocal or something like that. Or couch surfing also does meetings.