Kristel

Tokyo

Cool and unusual budget hotels to sleep in Tokyo?

I'm spending three nights in Tokyo. Where should I crash? I already have booked one night in a capsule in the ninja hotel (very cheap) but they can't host me more then one night. Budget: max 70-80 €/$ per night.

Jenna from Scituate

My favorite is the Hotel Granbell in Shibuya but it cost closer to 100 eur.  

Hotel Granbell Shibuya  

Here is a list of some cheaper ones from Time Out Tokyo 

I personally have always thought it would be cool to stay at a capsule hotel but there aren't many that allow women.

Laura from Buenos Aires

I stayed at the Hotel Empire In Shinjuku, it's really small but it's cheap and very well located near Shinokubo Station

1. Hotel Empire In Shinjuku (hotel)
  2. Shinokubo Station (attraction)

Mayumi from Tokyo

Look into the I-Cafe Akiba Place, a small little booth with a comfy chair and a computer! Pretty cheap but good accommodation for what you pay. 

1. I-Cafe Akiba Place (hotel)

geoff from San Francisco

Definitely concur with Jenna, the Granbell is great-- cool rooms, especially on the annex side, affordable for Tokyo, amazing location right by Shibuya station, great staff. The secret is out, though; the first time I stayed there, in 2008, you could get a room a week or two out. Now it's sold out months in advance. 

But for your budget, easily your best bet is airbnb. You can choose all kinds of neighborhoods and styles of apartment. I stayed exclusively in airbnb's on my last trip, and had some really great experiences, from basic country ryokans, to onsen hotels, urban high-rise apartments, and an amazing artist's loft; generally averaging $60-80 USD per night. I realize this sounds like an ad for airbnb, but it really was great, and much cheaper than any hotel of the same quality.

Cheeleong from Singapore

Good experience to stay Capsule Hotel & Sauna Ikebukuro Plaza!

Famous Hostel is Nui. | HOSTEL & BAR LOUNGE

If you prefer a convenient location, Shinjuku area is one of best.

1. Capsule Hotel & Sauna Ikebukuro Plaza (hotel)
  2. Nui. | HOSTEL & BAR LOUNGE (hotel)
  3. Shinjuku (metro area)

Mizuho from Tokyo

Hi, I recommend to stay at Khaosan Hostel at Asakusabashi close to Nihonbashi area. East side of tokyo. It is very cheap and foreigners seem to prefer to stay there with historical atmosphere

1. Khaosan Hostel (hotel)