Edna

Tokyo, Japan

Best short (1-2) day trips out of Tokyo?

If it was your first time in Japan, you have seven days, and are using Tokyo as a base -- where is a good 1-2 day trip outside the city? Osaka? Kyoto? Somewhere smaller and less known?

David from Hawthorne (California)

I would suggest a trip to the  "Fuji Five Lakes" area around Mt. Fuji.  You can get the world's best Udon in Fujiyoshida and stay at a beautiful ryokan near Lake Kawaguchi like Kogetsu Ryokan Yamanashi.  Eat some Udon for lunch and then relax in the hot springs and gaze in amazement at Fuji-san.  You'll love the in-room feast provided at the ryokan as well.

1. Mt. Fuji (attraction)
  2. Fujiyoshida (city)
  3. Lake Kawaguchi (attraction)
  4. Kogetsu Ryokan Yamanashi (attraction)

Nicole from Funabashi

Kyoto is definitely not a day trip, everything is pretty spread out and it takes a few days to really enjoy. Osaka could be a good weekend trip, maybe, but definitely not a day trip. I would suggest Nikko or Mt. Fuji as better day trips.

1. Kyoto (city)
  2. Osaka (city)
  3. Nikko (attraction)
  4. Mt. Fuji (attraction)

Arti from Mumbai

I had been to Japan for the same time span - 7 days with Tokyo as base. I explored 3 days in Tokyo, 2 days in Nara Prefecture and 1 day in Kyoto. Short trips to Nara and Kyoto made for a fabulous trip! Though I wish I had more time for Kyoto. Here's a link (from my blog) on one of my favorite experiences in Nara, if you'd like a glimpse:

>> http://www.myyatradiary.com/2012/12/messengers-of-god-deers-in-nara-park.html

1. Tokyo (city)
  2. Nara Prefecture (state)
  3. Kyoto (city)

Tiffy from Philippines

I suggest spending a day trip or overnight trip to Hakone to see Mt. Fuji. Just purchase a Hakone Free Pass from Shinjuku Station West Exit so you don't need to worry much about transportation.

1. Hakone (city)
  2. Mt. Fuji (attraction)

Rebecca from Manchester

Osaka and Kyoto can be reached by plane (Kansai airport) or bullet train, so they are possible to do in a few days from Tokyo but it is quite a distance. If you're wanting to save money you can take the Willar Express bus but it does take all day.

From Tokyo itself you could visit Yokohama which is the second biggest city in Japan. I would also suggest visiting Hakone and Kamakura (Kamakura) as they are easy to get to from Tokyo and both explore great parts of Japan. By going to Hakone you can see great views from Mount Fuji. 

1. Osaka (city)
  2. Kyoto (city)
  3. Yokohama (city)
  4. Hakone (city)
  5. Kamakura (city)

Gaku from Kawasaki-shi, Kanagawa, Japan

If you are interested in old Japanese culture, Kyoto is better. If you are interested in the newest Japanese culture, Tokyo is better.

1. Kyoto (city)
  2. Tokyo (city)

Jonny from Nowhere

Hey Edna,

Kyoto for sure if you only have 1-2 days. If I was in Japan for the first time and only has a week I would do 5 days Tokyo and 2 days Kyoto.

http://backpackingman.com/wandering-around-kyoto/

nako from London

Take bullet train to Osaka, 2 hours and use it as a base to go Kyotoand Nara. A lot of history in kyoto.

Also you can take a day trip to Kamakura for the big buddha from tokyo. if you like, Nikko is very very beautiful with all the temples and natural beauty.

Yokohama is just an hour from Tokyo.

Hiroshima is also the nice place. you can take the boat to the small island to see the shrine there. very nice island.

1. Osaka (city)
  2. Kyoto (city)
  3. Nara (city)
  4. Kamakura (city)
  5. Nikko (attraction)
  6. Yokohama (city)
  7. Tokyo (city)
  8. Hiroshima (city)

Lorraine

If you just want day trips, get the train to Kamakura(about 1 hour) Going to Kamakura station will put you near the big Buddha and the Hase-dera. Kita-kamakura station will put you close to many other shrines. Make sure you get the direct train not the one that changes at Ofuna. A great day trip. Nikko is 2 hours by train from Tokyo and has shrines, walking trails and Edo Wonderland, a fun theme park like old Tokyo. Kyoto is approximately 3 1/2 hours by train from Shinjuku station in Tokyo and definitely worth the trip, but really needs the 2 days. You can also do a day trip to Mt Fuji, but nice to stay longer in the area.

If this will be your first time in Japan and are based in Tokyo, suggest getting a pasmo or suica card  for the trains. It will save a lot of time trying to calculate fares. The machines have an English option, are rechargable and you can return the card at end of stay and obtain refund of the Y500 deposit. You'll use trains a lot to get round in Tokyo, so well worth it.

1. Kamakura (city)
  2. Hase-dera (attraction)
  3. Nikko (attraction)
  4. Tokyo (city)
  5. Edo Wonderland (attraction)

Gary

I'd say take the bullet train to Hiroshima and to experience the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum and park, then spend a night or two, perhaps near Hakone back near Tokyo. Preferably during Sakura

1. Hiroshima (city)
  2. Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum (attraction)
  3. Hakone (city)

I recommend Hakone. It's a nice way to get some peace and quiet after all the Tokyo/Yokohama craziness ... as much fun as that is, it's a bit of sensory overload! There's a great ferry on the lake, and you might catch some nice view of Mt. Fuji if the weather allows.

1. Hakone (city)