David
Alexandria, Virginia

David from Alexandria, Virginia asked

3 nights in Tokyo - where to stay to meet people late twenties?

I'm very active (explore/dance/drink)! Really want to 'immerse' myself in the culture and see the city. Budget isn't a concern, and sleeping isn't a top priority! Thank you! 

Tokyo (Japan)

Andrew from Tokyo

I would suggest you stay in Shibuya which is relatively young and more of a local hangout than the likes of Roppongi (which is very seedy - and much more catered towards foreigners and drunken foreign businessmen).

1. Shibuya (metro area)
  2. Roppongi (neighborhood)
Laura from Shanghai

Shinjuku/Shibuyawould be your best options. Great transport - including to/from the airports. All of the other areas you're referring to are a quick train ride away :)

1. Shinjuku (metro area)
  2. Shibuya (metro area)
Jacqui from London

Hi David, 

We just returned from a two week trip to Japan in March 2016 and it was amazing! It is my favourite country to date! You will love it. 

Andrew is right when he says that Roppongi is the hot spot for tourists and some seedier people - it can also be much more expensive than other parts of Tokyo. 

We stayed in Tokyo for four nights in the beginning and one night at the end. We stayed in Korea Town, about 10 minutes walk of Shinjuku. It was busy during the night and day, and lots of fun.

Shinjuku is known for themed bars such as the Robot Restaurant. We didn't go there, but we did check out a catch-your-own-fish restaurant and a sword/samurai themed restaurant. But the best part of Shinjuku is the Golden Gai alleyways. They are six or seven narrow alleyways that look a bit like a shanty town, full of Izakaya (Japanese pub) that start to get busy and full after 9pm. There are literally hundreds (200+) little pubs - some of them just a hole in the wall, or fitting only eight people. Some will only serve locals. Some serve only whisky or sake. You could go there every night and not visit them all! 

You could stay for two weeks in Shinjuku and not need to leave the area. 

But you should. 

If you want to immerse yourself in the culture, you should check out Koenji, apparently the birth place of punk in Japan in the 70s, and full of vintage stores that are open til late. On either side of the Koenji JR station are little alley ways and streets that have plenty of Izakayas and great little bars that can get loud and busy. We loved the Koenji area because it was much less touristy at night time, and it had lots of young people. Almost directly opposite the station there is a discreet grey building that has a toy themed Izakaya in the basement. They also sell cheap and unique food, like pig uterus and locust. 

Another place that you have to check out while you are there is Ebisu Yokocho. Ebisu Yokocho is an old abandoned shopping mall that has been overtaken by 20-30 Izakayas. They are lively from 5pm to the early morning, but you probably have to wait to get a table anywhere. 

Izakaya are a Japanese version of a pub. They are lively but casual drinking establishments with a small variety of food that can be shared at the table, similar to tapas bars in Spain. Izakaya are usually found around train stations and entertainment districts, and come in all shapes and sizes from tiny single-counter joints, to a divey after-work hang out, to a multi-story chain restaurant. You will usually always receive a small appetizer as soon as you sit down - and this is usually included in your bill at the end. Some will also add cover charge. 

I've just published a post about our two week itinerary, including what worked and what we would change in hindsight. It also includes a quick video of our trip: http://www.neverendinghoneymoon.net/journey-through-japan-two-week-itinerary/ 

It's one of eight posts I published on my travel blog. Check them out here: 

Culture Shock: reflections on my first day in Japan

Three days in Tokyo: a tantalising taste of Japan

Journey through Japan: The Year of the (Japanese Snow) Monkey

How to onsen in Japan like a local

Journey through Japan: Snowboarding in the Japanese Alps

Journey through Japan: Two days in Kyoto

Nature’s annual travelling show, cherry blossoms!

If you have any other questions about Japan, let me know! 

Jacqui

neverendinghoneymoon.net

1. Roppongi (neighborhood)
  2. Tokyo (city)
  3. Shinjuku (metro area)
  4. Robot Restaurant (restaurant)
  5. Golden Gai (restaurant)
  6. Koenji (attraction)
  7. Ebisu Yokocho (attraction)
Scott from San Francisco

I don't think where you sleep matters.  But pick a hotel near a train station so you can get around.  ShibuyaShinjuku or I'll go off the board and suggest Marunouchi because it's centrally located and it's near Tokyo Station which BTW is totally worth hanging out in - yup, that's right, a lot of great places happen to be in train stations in Tokyo so consider them a destination as well as a transportation option .  Tokyo is HUGE.  It's like 3x the size of NYC.  

1. Shibuya (metro area)
  2. Shinjuku (metro area)
  3. Marunouchi (attraction)
  4. Tokyo Station (attraction)
Scott from San Francisco

1. Shibuya (metro area)
  2. Shinjuku (metro area)
  3. Marunouchi (attraction)
  4. Tokyo Station (attraction)
Scott from San Francisco

I don't think where you sleep matters.  But pick a hotel near a train station so you can get around.  ShibuyaShinjuku or I'll go off the board and suggest Marunouchi because it's centrally located and it's near Tokyo Station which BTW is totally worth hanging out in - yup, that's right, a lot of great places happen to be in train stations in Tokyo so consider them a destination as well as a transportation option.  

1. Shibuya (metro area)
  2. Shinjuku (metro area)
  3. Marunouchi (attraction)
  4. Tokyo Station (attraction)