April
Pembroke (North Carolina)

Tipperary

Need some suggestions for places that sell authentic Irish goods!

Can anyone tell me where to get authentic Irish goods in the Tipperary area? Specifically, I'd like a place that sells Aran sweaters. I want to bring back some gifts for my family and I don't want to get something junky at a tourist place. I really want the real thing so if anyone has any ideas I'd greatly appreciate it! 

Darren from Dublin

Hi April,

Not sure what part of Tipperary you are headed to but I do know of a great place in Ardmore (Ireland) that is a genuine Irish craft shop - Ardmore Pottery & Gallery http://www.ardmorepottery.com/. They sell traditional knitwear, jewellery and other Irish made crafts and are an independent shop. I know of a few more craft shops in Birrand near Athlone if you are going to be in North Tipperary, but I'm not sure if they do Aran sweaters. Tipperary is a big county from top to bottom!

Another place that I know definitely does Aran knitwear is the Kilkenny Design Centre & Foodhall in  Kilkenny http://www.kilkennydesign.com/ - not to be confused with a similarly-named chain of stores in Ireland and overseas.

Kilkenny calls itself the home of Irish craft and some of Ireland's finest craftspeople can be found in these parts.

It is a short drive from the south of Tipperary Cahir and  Clonmel, but the coast around  Ardmore (Ireland) is lovely.

Hope this helps, enjoy your visit.

Darren.

1. Ardmore (Ireland) (city)
  2. Ardmore Pottery & Gallery (attraction)
  3. Birr (city)
  4. Athlone (city)
  5. Kilkenny Design Centre & Foodhall (attraction)
  6. Kilkenny (city)
  7. Cahir (city)
  8. Clonmel (city)

Gabriella from Netherlands

In my experience you can get nice quality goods in 'touristy' shops as well. I got my Irish knit hat in one of them 5 years ago, have worn it a lot since, washed it many times and it still looks brand new! Of course avoid Carrolls or any place that sells obviously Chinese made plastic shamrock themed stuff. However, in my experience most gift shops all around the country carry at least a small range of locally produced, good quality hand-made stuff. IF you are flying home from Dublin, I can suggest you to have a look at  The Woollen Mills at the North end ofHa'penny Bridge or some of the gift shops on  Nassau Street just at the side of Trinity College. Dublin Airport (DUB) also carries nice products, especially Terminal 1.  

Oh, and in most places you can ask for a tax back receipt, which you can fill in and put in a box in the airport, and they send you a cheque in the post with your tax! (only works with non-EU residency)

1. The Woollen Mills (attraction)
  2. Ha'penny Bridge (attraction)
  3. Nassau Street (attraction)
  4. Trinity College (attraction)
  5. Dublin Airport (DUB) (attraction)

Victoria from Plant City

We got ours from Blarney Woolen Mills which is a small chain over there-- but it's been 2 years and my sweater is still amazing. 

Florian from United Kingdom

I'm afraid I don't really have an answer for you, except that kilts are Scottish not Irish, so I don't think you'll find any in Tipperary. :)