Taylor
New Orleans

Timisoara, Romania

Birthday weekend in Timisoara? Where to celebrate?

Hey travelers! My boyfriend and I will spend a long weekend in Timisoara to celebrate my 25th birthday next month... can anyone recommend a fantastic restaurant? Any must sees? Any outstanding experiences?

Thanks for your help! 

Kershen from Timisoara

Hello, I am a South African, studying medicine here in Timisoara for the past 5 years.  I may not know as much as the locals but I can tell you about some of my favorite places here.  

Firstly I'd like to tell you that you are coming to a really beautiful city, there are two really amazing town squares that you have to check out, Piata Victoriei and Piața Unirii.... Piata victoria is the main square, the opera house is there and lots of restaurants and pubs as well as the orthodox Catherdral.  Here's a link to a live camera in the square facing the opera house http://www.trafficguide.ro/camere-live/timisoara-piata_victoriei-opera

Piata Uniri has lots of pubs and clubs where you will find some nice party scenes.  There's also a nice upmarket restaurant there called Locanda Del Corso the food there is really good as well and they have a great selection of wines. Here's a link to their website: http://locandadelcorso.ro/home/en

If you are coming close to Christmas time everything is very festive, there will be markets setup in Piaţa Victoriei where you can buy all sorts of stuff including a wide range of traditional Romanian food which is prepared right in front of you, you would also be able to buy hot wine, which is awesome especially when it's the cold.  You have to try the hot wine if you're here around Christmas.

Specifically concerning restaurants, if you're looking for a really classy place there is the Sky Restaurant, which is pricey but worth it because of the beautiful setup, it is situated on the roof of a building, which provides it with an awesome view of the city, the food is amazing as well.

I tried posting a link here to some pics of the outside deck, which is awesome for sun-downers but the link didn't work so I removed it. I suppose you could just google images of it and see for yourself, but here's a link to their website if you want to make a booking which I suggest you do if you want to get a table with an awesome view : http://sky.restaurant/

Restaurant Restaurant Casa Bunicii 1 is really good as well, the food there is amazing and traditional Romanian, the name is translated to "Grandma's House". My favorite dish there is this Chicken skewers thing that comes on a huge skewer which is lit up in front of you, it looks really awesome and tastes extremely delicious. 

As far as pubs go, The Note Pub is one of my favorites, they have a good house band and it usually turns into a club like scene later at night, the Note Pub is located very close to Piata Victoria or "centhru" as its called, pronounced "Chen-Thru".

By far my favorite place to hang out is Cheers pub, which is at the Bastion. They are a cosmopolitan restaurant/pub the atmosphere is always great and the food is absolutely delicious, the decor is beautiful and the service is amazing with some of the friendliest staff around, the bar tenders are really good mixologists and make some of the tastiest cocktails I've ever drank.  My favorite dish there is the Cheers Burger which is a duck burger, it's very tasty. They make a great salmon burger as well, but their menu contains a wide variety of foods from fish to pastas and pizzas as well.

Those are just a few of my favorite places, there are lots of great places to party here, and you can find some great live music from Jazz at Jazzissimo Club and the Jazz Office to drum and bass and heavy metal at Daos club.

People here are really friendly and most of them speak good English so you shouldn't have a problem making your way around.  I hope this helps and happy birthday for next month!

1. Piața Unirii (attraction)
  2. Locanda Del Corso (restaurant)
  3. Piaţa Victoriei (attraction)
  4. Sky Restaurant (restaurant)
  5. Restaurant Casa Bunicii 1 (restaurant)
  6. The Note Pub (restaurant)
  7. Jazzissimo Club (attraction)
  8. Daos club (attraction)

Emily from Ann Arbor

One of the most popular things is the Orthodox Cathedral. Beautiful architecture! Strada Victoria is nice to walk through as is Park PlaceRestaurant Casa Bunicii 1 is excellent if you're looking for delicious traditional food. 

1. Orthodox Cathedral (attraction)
  2. Strada Victoria (attraction)
  3. Park Place (attraction)
  4. Restaurant Casa Bunicii 1 (restaurant)