Colwyn, Pennsylvania

Theater District - Times Square, New York City

Girl's Trip -Places to eat in the theater district

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced good restaurant near the theater?  It will be my sister's birthday and I will have two of our friends with us?  

Deb

I really like Becco - there is a prix fixe pasta dinner - all you want to eat of 3 homemade pastas w/salad or antipasto for 24.95 and a $30 a bottle wine list. Right on 46th (btwn 8th & 9th aves) reservations are essential its popular. Have fun! 

1. Becco (restaurant)

Claudia from New York City

Hi Debbie,

I like these restaurants in Times Square area:

1. Supernova - Novotel New York Times Square, located inside Novotel Times Square

2. Ellen's Stardust Diner

3. China Xiang

4. Carmine's (44th Street)

5. Sapporo

6. Dutch Fred's - for small plates and drinks

7. Chai Thai Kitchen

Photo below: Times Square view from Supernova

1. Supernova - Novotel New York Times Square (restaurant)
  2. Ellen's Stardust Diner (restaurant)
  3. China Xiang (restaurant)
  4. Carmine's (restaurant)
  5. Sapporo (restaurant)
  6. Dutch Fred's (restaurant)
  7. Chai Thai Kitchen (restaurant)

Rachel from New York City

West 46th Street--Restaurant Row--has great places, and they all know to serve you on time. My favorites are Sushi of Gari 46 and Le Rivage. But my favorite pre theater places is  Cafe Un Deux Trois--it is a big brasserie that has a menu with something for everyone, you can spend a lot of get a nice panini, and very good wine. It's also not terrible for possible c-spotting (we ate next to Juliane Margolis the last time we were there). 

1. Sushi of Gari 46 (restaurant)
  2. Le Rivage (restaurant)
  3. Cafe Un Deux Trois (restaurant)

Spencer from New York City

Hi Debbie! 

I’m actually a concierge in Times Square my “home run” restaurant in Times Square is La Masseria. It’s authentic Italian where thy hand make their pasta every day from scratch as well as all of their desserts which are all made in house. It’s the real deal! 

1. La Masseria (restaurant)

Georgia from Long Island (New York)

I also like Becco for Italian but it depends on what you like, how many, and where you are. Also many restaurants are not the best for big groups. Carmine's in the middle of district and can serve family style. Opentable can help filter options and secure reservations.

1. Becco (restaurant)
  2. Carmine's (restaurant)

Peter from Bloomington (Indiana)

I like Osteria al Doge -- excellent Italian just slightly off Times Square, close enough to be convenient to the mainstream theaters. Not conspicuously cheap, but not outrageous for Midtown.

1. Osteria al Doge (restaurant)

Diane from New York City

If you want good food but not fancy  

Junior's restaurant is famous for their food and cheesecake 

Reasonable too 

No reservations 

I love the Turkey

1. Junior's restaurant (restaurant)

Tout va bien is a classic neighborhood spot that has pretty good French food. Not crazy cheap, but reliable. 

If you want a true theater hang out, you could try Joe Allen Restaurant. Not the most incredible food you'll ever have in your life but good and you'll probably bump into at least one actor having a pre-performance dinner. The gimmick of the restaurant is that all the posters on the walls are from shows that flopped. 

1. Tout va bien (restaurant)
  2. Joe Allen Restaurant (restaurant)

Michael from Manhattan

Unfortunately, the Theater District is not known for having a good choice of restaurants, let alone reasonably affordable. With that said, this is New York, and it would take you no more than 10 minutes to walk to the next neighborhood from Times Square. So, to add to everyones' notes above/below, my advice is to not eat in Times Square (or as you identify it as the Theater District).

With that said, with the question specific to the area, I 4th the recommendation for Lidia Bastianich's Becco because the food is reliable, not too expensive, and celebrity chef's make for a great story when you go home :) But... depending when you are visiting, I would walk a few blocks further and eat at the Bryant Park Grill simply because it is a memorable experience. If it is in the summer, eating outside in one of New York's most iconic parks... yes!

Make reservations at least a week in advance for both (or really any restaurants in New York) for a table of 4.

1. Becco (restaurant)
  2. Bryant Park Grill (restaurant)

Michael from Manhattan

With that said, with the question specific to the area, I 4th the recommendation for Lidia Bastianich's Becco because the food is reliable, not too expensive, and celebrity chef's make for a great story when you go home :) But... depending when you are visiting, I would walk a few blocks further and eat at the Bryant Park Grillsimply because it is a memorable experience. If it is in the summer, eating outside in one of New York's most iconic parks... yes!

1. Becco (restaurant)
  2. Bryant Park Grill (restaurant)

Michael from Manhattan

1. Becco (restaurant)
  2. Bryant Park Grill (restaurant)

Michael from Manhattan

With that said, with the question specific to the area, I 4th the recommendation for Lidia Bastianich's Becco, because the food is reliable, not too expensive, and celebrity chef's make for a great story when you go home :) But... depending when you are visiting, I would walk a few blocks further and eat at the Bryant Park Grill simply because it is a memorable experience. If it is in the summer, eating outside in one of New York's most iconic parks... yes!

1. Becco (restaurant)
  2. Bryant Park Grill (restaurant)

1. Tout va bien (restaurant)
  2. Joe Allen Restaurant (restaurant)

1. Tout va bien (restaurant)
  2. Joe Allen Restaurant (restaurant)

Jarad

Becco, on restaurant row! It’s delicious and reasonably priced! We’ve gone there many times and have always been happy with the service and the food!

1. Becco (restaurant)