Sarah
Seattle

Sarah from Seattle asked

1 month vacation/workcation with kids--where to stay in the Caribbean?

My husband and I want to take our 2 kids somewhere in the Caribbean (we were thinking Hawaii, but changed our minds) for one month in February/March 2016. We'll be working part-time and might bring grandparents along for part of the trip. The kids will be 3 and 1.5 when we're there.

We want to rent a place for a month and explore from there. We like cities, hiking, swimming, meeting people, eating local food, and outdoor markets. We want to stay on one of the bigger islands for more variety given that we'll be there for a full month. I'm looking at Puerto Rico and Barbados. Any suggestions?

The Caribbean

Missy from Newport

Grenada may be an island you would want to consider.  As the "Spice Island", there is a wide diversity of things to see and do, hiking trails, water falls, and rain forests, along with nice beaches.  The main town, St. Georges, has a large open air market which is at its height on Saturdays.All of the locally grown spices and the local curry mix will be available in the market.  Nutmegs are the most plentiful crop on the island, followed by an array of such spices as cocoa, mace, cloves, vanilla, cinnamon and ginger.  The gratings of a real nutmeg nut has a flavor and smell unlike the powdered nutmeg sold in American grocery stores. 

1. Grenada (attraction)
Andrew from Fort Lauderdale

Hi Sarah,

For their honeymoon my nephew and new niece rented a house in St John's and they had a great time. 60% of the Island is a park with lots of trails, endless beaches and views are stunning. I have many clients that charter catamarans in the Virgin Islands and my wife and I chartered our catamaran in the Islands for over 5 years. They are stunning and spectacular. 

1. St John's (city)
Olivia from Miami

I would agree with Grenada, beautiful place and very kid friendly. Has the best sunsets! You will be driving on the left side of the road as a fyi... 

1. Grenada (attraction)