Breanna

Thailand, Phuket

Which beaches in Thailand are the best for visiting in December?

Which beaches in Thailand are the best for visiting in December? Any tips on which airport is best to fly into? I don't want to stay right in Phuket, but thinking about flying into there. 

David from San Francisco

Last year, I went to Krabi in December and it was amazing.  Weather was great, albeit a bit hot.  Specifically, check out West Railay Beach.  No road, you take a long tail boat to get there.  Its very chill with only a handful of hotels/restaurants.  Great if you want to rock climb, hike, kayak, or just relax on the beach.  One of the most beautiful stretches of beach I've seen.

1. Railay Beach (attraction)

Elliott from England

I would suggest that you get off the beaten path a bit, it's all well and good spending time on all the touristy beaches but why not go to a quieter island and kick back for a bit?

You could fly in to Phuket or Krabi and then get a boat over to Koh Yao Noi or Koh Jum(Koh Yao Noi or Ko Jum) which are both very relaxing islands with the most amazing beaches I've ever seen! Both islands aren't far from the more well known islands like Ko Lanta and Koh Phi Phi too so you can easily pop over to one of them for a few nights too.

1. Phuket (city)
  2. Krabi (city)
  3. Koh Yao Noi (island)
  4. Ko Lanta (city)
  5. Koh Phi Phi (city)
  6. Koh Jum (island)

Mel from Venice Beach

Fly into Bangkok and then go to Krabi. From Krabi go to Railey Beach and Koh Phi Phi. I went there in December through new years. Depending on if you want to party, you can go to Koh Phangan for the Full Moon or Half Moon party... it's unlike any partying you've ever done. But I prefer staying on the Krabi side.

Book your flights well in advance. I made the mistake of doing everything last minute and it got expensive and almost everything was booked. I once took a 13 hour bus from Krabi to Bangkok because I didn't book in advance. You wont regret Railay Bay Resort And Spa in Krabi, the Princess Resort is a great hotel. Stay away from Phuket, that place is evil. Have a blast! Kab pun ka!

2. Krabi (city)
  3. Railey Beach (attraction)
  4. Koh Phi Phi (city)
  5. Koh Phangan (island)
  6. Railay Bay Resort And Spa (hotel)

Michael from San Francisco

Thailand is tropical, and thus, the month doesn't make much of a difference.  Its going to be HOT!  Phuket is probably the busiest (read: crowded) place in Thailand, and December is probably the busiest month of the year, so that's something to be aware of.  There's lots of other islands to give a go.  

If you want to do the famous full moon parties, those are at Ko Pha-ngan

I'm a big fan of the white sand beaches at Koh Chang as well

1. Ko Pha-ngan (city)
  2. Koh Chang (island)

Valorie from Spokane, Washington

If you want to do the other side of Thailand we flew into Bangkok (cheapest) and took an overnight bus to the first drop off to ferry to Koh Tao (my favorite island!) less touristy and oh so beautiful. It's a close ferry trip away from Koh Samui and the other party party islands... But Koh Samui also has the incredible Angthong National Marine Park where you can kayak around the beautiful rocks that jet out of the ocean. I had to check out Koh Phi Phi but was sort of disappointed by how over run by tourists it was. Definitely not worth getting off the boat to set foot on "The Beach" which is a quick long tail boat from Koh Phi Phi. If you do that day trip we found it worth it to hire our own boat for the day it was around $50 and avoided the crazy packed tourist boats. It made our adventure that much more awesome. We avoided Phuket as well, but stayed the night before flying up north to Chiang Mai which was the best part of our trip! Check out my travel blogs on Thailand: www.skinnyfatgirldiary.com/Thailand

2. Koh Tao (island)
  3. Koh Samui (island)
  4. Koh Phi Phi (city)
  5. Chiang Mai (city)
  6. Angthong National Marine Park (attraction)

Glenn from Lier, Belgium

Beaches are Great there. Phuket is amazing !!

If you wanna go by speedboat 1,5 hour you have to visit Similan islands. this is like heaven on earth ;)

1. Phuket (city)
  2. Similan islands (attraction)

Arnette from Los Angeles

I kind of love Phuket minus the craziness of Patong and Bangla Road. If you are going to be in the area, Kata Beach is way more mellow than say Patong and the waves are surfable. Thailand is overly touristy all the time so there's no getting out of that especially in December.

If you're looking to get out to other areas close by I really liked Railey Beach and Krabi. I didn't go to Koh Lanta and Koh Lipe but both were recommended by travel friends.

Definitely get out on a boat, preferably hire a private tour, and cruise around Phang Nga Bay. It's the best. 

I wrote a 72 hour guide for Phuket here: http://bit.ly/72hoursinPhuket

Exploring Phang Nga Bay here: http://bit.ly/phangngabay

And Railay here: http://bit.ly/railaythailand

If you really want the best beaches in Asia, hit up the Philippines. 

Have fun and eat lots of curry and green mango salad for me! 

1. Phuket (city)
  2. Railey Beach (attraction)
  3. Krabi (city)

Stephen "Sven" from Florida

I just got back from Thailand. I spent a great time on Ko Yao Noi Island. The Paradise Koh Yao Boutique Beach Resort is a great 1 or 2 day stay. They have their own water taxi that will take you from Krabi to the island. It is very romantic and reminiscent of the James Bond movie "Man With The Golden Gun".

1. Ko Yao Noi (city)
  2. The Paradise Koh Yao Boutique Beach Resort (hotel)
  3. Krabi (city)

Brad from Khanom

Thailand might be tropical, as some other posters suggested, but the weather pattern is different on the two coasts. November to January mark the north-eastern munsoon which brings heavy wind, big waves and occasionaly rain on the East Coasts, rendering Samui, Phangan and Tao improper for a perfect beach experience. So you should choose either the West Coast or the islands nearby Cambodia (Koh Chang, Koh Mak, Koh Khood). My personal favorite beaches are those on and around Koh Lipe, Satun province.

1. Thailand (country)
  2. Cambodia (country)
  3. Koh Chang (island)
  4. Koh Mak (city)
  5. Koh Lipe (city)