Kristen

Thailand

Where to spend New Year's Eve in Thailand?

My friends will be visiting me in Thailand over the New Year holiday. I'm living in Chiang Mai, but we're thinking of sending their visit in Bangkok with a few days in Phuket, Koh Samui, or Koh Tao. Does anyone have NYE experience in this country ... which city/island is the most fun during this time? What about the least expensive? (We are a group of 20somethings)

Any advice is appreciated! 

Nam from Bangkok

During New Year holidays, Bangkok will be less crowded, people back home or away to other towns. Traffic is light, I think Bangkok is beautiful at that time.

Choose a place near riverside where you can watch the fireworks show and count down with friends. Probably, restaurants, roof top bars, parks and malls along Chao Praya River

For example ASIATIQUE THE RIVERFRONTMaharat PierESS Eat Sight StorySantichai Prakan Public Park (Suan Santichai Prakan)and Sanam Luang.

2. ASIATIQUE THE RIVERFRONT (restaurant)
  3. Maharat Pier (attraction)
  4. ESS Eat Sight Story (restaurant)
  5. Santichai Prakan Public Park (Suan Santichai Prakan) (attraction)
  6. Sanam Luang (attraction)

Laura from Buenos Aires

I spent las New Year's Eve in Bangkok and it was just ok for me but may be because of what we choose to do. 

A friend of mine suggested me to wait for the countdown in Siam Paragon and we did so, listening to a band but there weren't much celebrations there. Then we went to Khao San Road and there's where the party was. Is the favorite place for backpackers there where music and drinks and lots of people on the street. 

If you like that kind of party go there without a doubt but I rather follow Josh suggestion and choose a cool bar in a roof top.

2. Siam Paragon (attraction)
  3. Khao San Road (attraction)

Josh from Baton Rouge

I will be in Bangkok on NYE this year.  I am looking forward to hearing suggestions on where to go, but I was considering going to Above Eleven a rooftop bar & restaurantIt's supposed to have great food and a fantastic view.  If anyone has any info on fireworks displays or other maybe more traditional NY celebrations I would love to hear about it.

1. Above Eleven a rooftop bar & restaurant (restaurant)