Hannah
Portland

Thailand

What are your safety tips for travel in Thailand?

Recently someone gave me a strong recommendation of "be very careful" in Thailand due to her experience. Does anyone have any tips for staying safe while visiting the country?

Ryan from Chicago

I spent about 8 weeks in Thailand two years ago and my best safety tip that I can give you is (it might sound lame) to be smart.  Thailand can and is for the most part a safe place to travel, but at the same time it can be very unsafe.  Some travelers go to Thailand to party and use drugs and that is where most of the bad stories come from.  That does not mean you should not have any fun, but you have to be smart about it.  What I mean about being smart is think about what you are doing/where you are going.  When in doubt ask yourself, would I do this at home?

Darren from Thailand

Generally speaking Thailand is quite safe, most crimes committed against tourists tend to opportunist, such as jewellery and bag snatches. Best advice is to leave your gold at home and don't flaunt your money. Avoid dark, unpopulated roads, Many of these snatches are carried out by motorcyclists, so you must try and stay away from the kerb, and if you are forced to walk on an unpaved road, make sure you are facing the traffic.

Joachim from Mönchengladbach, Germany

Thailand is a safe place! In the big cities and very touristic places the normal caution is important but really no need to be paranoid.