Gus
Miami

Thailand, Phuket

What are the best places to visit near Phuket?

I am Gus, originally from Venezuela living in Miami, USA. I am 24 yo and this year I decided to travel more and visit new places. What are the best places to visit near Phuket? I will be spending a week sailing around Thailand on December so I want to take advantage of the long flight and stay a couple more days (3-4) exploring around. Which places do you recommend? hotels? restaurants? activities?

Thank you!

Jae from Singapore

What's cool about Phuket is that there's a bunch of decently nice beaches in a relatively compact area. Plus, there's enough nightlife, restaurants, and shopping around to satisfy most people.  

Kata Beach and Karon are pretty cool places to stay. But I get the feeling you'll enjoy staying closer to the action, so Pa Tong for the nightlife and dining choices?

1. Phuket (city)
  2. Kata Beach (attraction)
  3. Karon (attraction)
  4. Pa Tong (attraction)

Jeremy

I highly recommend going to Tiger Muay Thai and MMA Training Camp, Phuket, Thailand

Still one of the best trips ever. If training is not your thing then

- take a boat trip to Phi Phi Islands, stay over night drink and dance on the beach.

- catch a sunset at Promthep Cape

- check out the Big Buddha

- pet a tiger at Tiger Kingdom Suvarnabhumi

1. Tiger Muay Thai and MMA Training Camp, Phuket, Thailand (attraction)
  2. Phi Phi Islands (attraction)
  3. Promthep Cape (attraction)
  4. Big Buddha (attraction)
  5. Tiger Kingdom Suvarnabhumi (attraction)

Carolann from Around The World

As far as activities go:

If you want to do a bit of island hopping you can see Coral Island Resort - a great beach for water and beach activities and a beautiful view, Koh Phi Phi - two amazing islands, but very popular, Krabi is close enough nearby to explore the beautiful coastline, the Wat Tham Sua temple, and is an incredible place for snorkeling (as is Phi Phi).

There are also the hongs or caves - Phang Nga Road - and you can kayak through the caves; Khao Lak, a district of Phang Nga, has beaches and safaris through some incredible wildlife.

Ko Yao Yai is a traditional island with great viewpoints, beaches and cultural sights.

Phuket itself has many things to do:

- Fantasea show is an interesting Las Vegas-style show.

- The Big Buddha Phuket on Nakkerd HIll

- Wat Chaithararam 

- Chui Tui Monam Shrine - the oldest Chinese Temple in Phuket

1. Coral Island Resort (attraction)
  2. Koh Phi Phi (city)
  3. Krabi (city)
  4. Wat Tham Sua (attraction)
  5. Khao Lak (attraction)
  6. Ko Yao Yai (attraction)
  7. Phuket (city)
  8. Big Buddha Phuket (attraction)
  9. Wat Chaithararam (attraction)
  10. Chui Tui Monam (attraction)
  11. Phang Nga Road (attraction)

Sigourney from Melbourne

Head over to Phi Phi Islands for day trips (snorkeling, night time swimming with glow plankton, cliff jumping) and to the beach at night for dancing, partying, and fire twirling. I found it much more fun than Patong.. though Pa Tong/Kata Beach were both good places to stay with lots of tour options and pickups to choose from. Also very nice for spending the day on the beach, or shopping.

Alternatively, head to Ko Lanta for a more relaxed, less crowded, tropical beach experience. Go kayaking in sea caves/snorkel/etc.

Visit the Big Buddha in Chalong.

Do a bike tour day trip... experience countryside, villiages, waterfall, turtle rehabilitation project.

Go on the flying Hanuman.

I'd recommend against any exploitive animal tourism (elephant rides, tiger temple, etc), as they've got a history of being quite cruel. If you had the time I'd recommend going to Chiang Mai to the Elephant Nature Park, to see the rescued elephants up there.
The Gibbon Rehabilitation Project is supposed to be quite a nice experience in Phuket though (I didn't get a chance to make it up there last time), and it's situated nearby the Bang Pae Waterfall where you can go for a jungle waterfall swim.

1. Phi Phi Islands (attraction)
  2. Pa Tong (attraction)
  3. Kata Beach (attraction)
  4. Ko Lanta (attraction)
  5. Chalong (attraction)
  6. Chiang Mai (city)
  7. Elephant Nature Park (attraction)
  8. Phuket (city)
  9. Bang Pae Waterfall (attraction)