Kyran
Denver

Thailand, Krabi

Thinking of Thailand for Honeymoon this fall

Is 7 days long enough?  Best places for honeymooning couple?  I have heard good things about Krabi Town, what is a great romantic hotel there?  Thanks much everyone. 

Tony from Seattle

7 days is pretty tight, but I'm assuming you're talking 7 days + air travel time, which would make it a touch better.  Broadly, fall in Thailand is the wet season with Sept-Nov being the wettest months.  You might consider going to the gulf side (Ko Samui is an island lots of people like).  It's a lot dryer, but is still soggiest around October.  If you can push it to Dec (or at least late Nov) you should be fine.  If you're stuck on earlier fall, maybe consider Bali.

Krabi is a neat town.  Compared to Ao Nang (20min away), it's quite a bit less touristy (which has its pros and cons).  The town is not terribly pretty and doesn't have a ton to do, while Ao Nang is full of restaurants, etc.  Ao Nang is much better for easy access to Railay Beach (only reachable by boat - 15min), which is only of the prettiest places you'll see in your life.  

If I were honeymooning in the area and wanted lots of relaxation, I'd spend at least few nights on Railay.

(pasting this in from another answer about Krabi) Our favorite activity in the area was Tha Lane Bay Discovery Tour...  A little spendy for Thailand, but very memorable. Neat kayaking (lots of monkeys-- some jump on the kayaks), went to a rubber plantation (crazy interesting), and a gorgeous park that virtually no tourists visit. Pro-tip: try to do the tour on high tide-- you kayak to places you wouldn't otherwise be able to go to.

Most of the photos beyond the first couple of rows in this set of photos is from that tour.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tony_wright/sets/72157638751903865/

1. Krabi (city)
  2. Ao Nang (city)
  3. Railay Beach (attraction)
  4. Tha Lane Bay Discovery Tour (attraction)

Salomi from Mumbai

Thailand is a great place for a honeymoon destination. Krabi has already been answered in this post, so I would definitely suggest Koh Phi Phi. The Phi Phi Islands are majestic with blue pristine waters and they have the best dive sites for snorkelling and scuba diving!

I spent 4 nights out here at Phi Phi Don while on my honeymoon after 3 nights in Krabi and did not want to leave at the time of departure. The islands have very easy connectivity via ferry from Krabi or Phuket and make sure you stay at the nicer and more romantic hotels located on Ko Phi Phi Don instead of Tonsai Bay where most of the backpacker type hotels are located. My personal favourite is Outrigger Phi Phi Island Resort & Spa, where you are pampered to the hilt. Don't forget to do a day trip around the islands starting with Maya Bay and then heading off to the Viking CaveBamboo Island and Mosquito Island.

1. Thailand (country)
  2. Krabi (city)
  3. Koh Phi Phi (city)
  4. Tonsai Bay (attraction)
  5. Outrigger Phi Phi Island Resort & Spa (hotel)
  6. Maya Bay (island)
  7. Bamboo Island (attraction)
  8. Viking Cave (attraction)
  9. Mosquito Island (island)

Sanjana from India

Hey! 7 days is a decent duration for a Thailand trip. For a honeymooning couple, I would suggest stay away from Bangkok city. Krabi is great. Beautiful and relaxing. It's definately not as crowded as it used to be, which makes lounging on the beach even more blissful. .Check out Ao Nang Phu Pi Maan Resort and Spa in Krabi. The cottages are beautiful and right by the pool, where you get the most spectacular view of the valley. While its not exactly on the beach, they do have shuttles to and from the main Krabi beach.. From Krabi you can always take a ferry to the Koh Phi Phi islands for breathtaking beaches. The tiny city of Koh Phi Phi is more lively, with a lot of bars and fun clubs you can go to in your swimsuits. Its a short ferry ride away from Krabi and you could always plan a short 2 night stay there. 

1. Koh Phi Phi (city)
  2. Ao Nang Phu Pi Maan Resort and Spa (hotel)