jane
North America

Thailand, Chiang Mai

Solo female traveler

Hello fellow travelers. Is it safe for a woman to travel to northern Thailand? Simply wanting to enjoy food, culture and meditation. Thanks to all of you.

Scotty from Sydney, Australia

Yes, normal common sense, safe or safer than anywhere. learn some Thai words for a good time :)

Liz from Spring Hill

I just came back in March from Thailand. It was an amazing experience & I was a solo female traveler!!If U get a chance, U should fly to Phuket  Thailand also....75.00rd. trip &ooooo sooooo beautiful!!!

Nam from Bangkok

No problem for sure from Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son, Pai and new stars as Nan and Lamphun.

In Chiang Mai city, there are a lot of cheap, clean, safe and chic hostels where you will not alone. For other destinations it is not hard to find the good hostels that suitable for solo female travelers.

For food, you can enjoy Northern Lanna local food to central Thai and international. Food price in the north is cheap, delicious and diverse.

For meditation, I recommend Wat Ram Poeng in Chiang Mai city. It is the official meditation centre of government and located in the quite area. They provide English speaking master and private accommodation for foreigners. Reaching there is easy. The most important for meditation is masters!

1. Chiang Mai (city)
  2. Chiang Rai (city)
  3. Mae Hong Son (city)
  4. Pai (attraction)
  5. Nan (city)
  6. Lamphun (city)

Rasto from Edmonton

Yes, it is! I returned from Thailand in January this year. I spent about a week in Chiang Mai and it was a great travel experience. I met few solo female travelers there and if you use common sense there is nothing to worry about. Thailand is pretty safe country and Thais are very nice and polite people.

If you like thai food, I recommend taking Tom Yum Thai Cooking Class in Chiang Mai. It was really good and Oun is a great and funny teacher!

If you want, check out my picture galleries from northern Thailand.

I wish you happy and safe travels!

Kristen from Los Angeles

I lived in Thailand for 8 months in Chiang Mai and never felt my safety was threatened. Thailand is very safe so long as you remain aware of your surroundings and take care for your valuables. Thailand is actually one of the best bets for solo female travelers, many friends I met there were also traveling by themselves. It's the most transformative, empowering feeling!