Daniel
Beachwood, Ohio

Thailand, Koh Samui, Koh Phi Phi, Bangkok

Phi Phi V. Samui: what is better for a 5 day trip in June?

I'm heading to Thailand in June with 4 fiends. We're spending time in Bangkok & Chiang Mai, and then we have time to either spend 4-5 days in Phuket/Phi Phi or Samui. 

I would prefer Phi Phi from my own research, but I've read that weather in the second half of June is much better in Samui. 

Would it be ill-advised to skip Phi Phi and just head to Samui?

Carolann from Around The World

Between myself and my boyfriend, we've been to both islands during monsoon season and had no problems - Koh Phi Phi at the beginning of July.

In our opinion, if you are looking for some amazing snorkeling, some R&R and beautiful beaches then Phi Phi is definitely the place to go. He says it is one of his favourite places in the world.

Phuket has the nightlife and restaurants and some decent beaches as well and offers a different side of things.

Combined, you'll see and experience a lot more of south Thailand. In our experience, if it does rain, it rains briefly and dries up quickly.

We absolutely loved Koh Samui but if you could only choose one side to visit and you want to have a well-rounded, Southern-thai experience, Phuket/PhiPhi may be the better choice. 

Bangkok and Chiang Mai are amazing places too - we wrote about them both on our site - www.onemoderncouple.com - but there's a lot of information we've yet to write about so if you have any other questions, please feel free to message us!! We'll try and help in any way we can!

1. Koh Phi Phi (city)
  2. Phuket (city)
  3. Koh Samui (island)
  5. Chiang Mai (city)

Phil from Seattle

Got to be Koh Phi Phi. Easily my favourite place in Thailand. It has better food than Koh Samui and is a lot more intimate and easier to walk around. If you are looking for a nicer quieter beach on Phi Phi then there is a beach only accessable by boat called Long Beach. Stunning white sands.

1. Koh Phi Phi (city)

Nam from Bangkok

I visited Koh Samui on mid May that was low season, it was amazing, less tourists but great time. A few drizzle however, sunny days.

Koh Phi Phi and Phuket are on another side of main land (Andaman coast). Both islands are fantastic. However, I don't have an experience there on June.

See Koh Samui photos on May from my camera.

1. Koh Samui (island)
  2. Koh Phi Phi (city)
  3. Phuket (city)

todd from White Rock

Well in Ko Phi Phi Le it's getting very popular with tourists like crazy...A lot more scamming happens there where all the tourist traps are.

I suggest going to Koh Samui it has less busy beaches. I enjoyed staying in a beach hut off Lamai Beach This beache is 5km away and it is very nice but little bit busier beach Chaweng Beach is a must see and so is Big Buddha Beach Pool Villa 

Renting a scooter is a fun tour of seeing the island in just under an hour. Stopping at the fish market checking out the daily catch and buy / cook at a local restaurant. 

1. Ko Phi Phi Le (attraction)
  2. Koh Samui (island)
  3. Lamai Beach (attraction)
  4. Chaweng Beach (attraction)
  5. Big Buddha Beach Pool Villa (hotel)

Mobile