Matthew
Ireland

Thailand, Bangkok

Must sees/do's in Thailand?

I am heading to Thailand for July. Flying to and from Bangkok. Planning to stay in Bangkok for the first 2 or 3 days we arrive. I'm Travelling with a group of six 21 year olds who like culture but also want to have a good time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !

Kate from Bangkok

Welcome to Thailand. I recommended you must go and see the Grand Palace and Temple around there . Go to Yaowarat (Chinatown)there a lot of foods ( street food at night time) and if you want to go shopping go to MBK Center , Siam Paragon. It's easy to go by bts (skytrain) for nightlife. The most famous place in Bangkok is Khao San Road and Silom. If I can think of anymore than I will come back to answer again. ( sorry about my English) :)

1. Grand Palace (attraction)
  2. Yaowarat (Chinatown) (attraction)
  3. MBK Center (attraction)
  4. Siam Paragon (attraction)
  5. Khao San Road (attraction)
  6. Silom (attraction)

Eline from Oirschot

Our trip was like this:

Bangkok

Kanchanaburi

Ayutthaya

Phitsanulok

Chiang Rai

Chiang Mai (Here you can try Jungle flight, Elephant riding etc.)

(By night train, with a drink/dance/night carriage ;), back to Bangkok)

Hua Hin

Cha-Am

Phuket

The happy hours are almost 5 times a day in the hotels, so the drinks will be present everywhere ;)!

2. Kanchanaburi (city)
  3. Ayutthaya (state)
  4. Phitsanulok (city)
  5. Chiang Rai (state)
  6. Chiang Mai (city)
  7. Hua Hin (city)
  8. Cha-Am (city)
  9. Phuket (city)

Rodger

If you find accommodation near the river (Chao Phraya) and the monorail station (it finishes at the river, water taxi station there as well) you will be right in the middle of Bangkok's tourist sites and easy travel to other destinations. Bangkok doesn't have a CBD as such, its an ever expanding sprawled out city (was originally a canal city like Venice, but in the 60s they started to fill these in)

2/3 days you will see most of Bangkok

1. Chao Phraya (attraction)

Taylor

If you don't mind animals in zoos, you should definitely go here:
Samutprakarn Crocodile Farm & Zoo

You'll get to feed crocs with chicken attached to the end of fishing poles! 

1. Samutprakarn Crocodile Farm & Zoo (attraction)

Jade from Texas City

Yes, there's plenty of options for your group in Thailand! I remember my first trip to Thailand as I had the most fulfilling, productive time ever! I was on a dental holiday at Thantakit Dental in Bangkok for my dental implants. I had to choose going to Thailand as the price was definitely way cheaper than the ones quoted in TX. I explored the temples (Grand Palace, Wat Phra Kaew and Wat Arun), went shopping at MBK, Paragon and Chatuchak. Erawan Shrine is also fascinating. And Khao San's pretty much exicting. I was able to spend a day in Pattaya and also in CM (another time). Depends really on how long you intend to stay there. Happy travels!

Nam from Bangkok

Visiting Bangkok for 2-3 days is relatively general. There is a certain plan for first time tourists must see and do.

Old town for royal temples such as Wat Phra Kaew (Emerald Buddha) temple in the Grand Palace, Wat Pho (Reclining Buddha) and Wat Arun Temple of the Dawn (Temple of Dawn).

River cruise along Chao Phraya river is charming.

Street food at Yaowarat area, enjoy Thai-Chinese food in the bustling atmosphere. 

Shopping at Chatuchak Weekend Market, a lively market where a hundred of stalls waiting.

Spending a night at Khao San Road for cheap booze.

Notes:

There are a dozen of nice hostels around Bangkok for your choice. Pick one of them that fit your taste such as decoration, location, transportation and the people.

July is rainy season, steamy and poor traffic during raining and after.

Have a good trip in Bangkok.

2. Wat Phra Kaew (attraction)
  3. Grand Palace (attraction)
  4. Wat Pho (attraction)
  5. Wat Arun Temple of the Dawn (attraction)
  6. Chao Phraya (attraction)
  7. Yaowarat (attraction)
  8. Chatuchak Weekend Market (attraction)
  9. Khao San Road (attraction)

Pylin from Bangkok

I would suggest spending 3 days rather than 2 in Bangkok. First day, get rid of the jet lag by getting a thai/aromatherapy massage. On the second day, take a BTS skytrain to Sapan Taksin Station. From there take the public boat to Chang Pier (Tah Chang). Walk from the pier to the Grand Palace (approx 5-10 mins walk). Spend approximately 1-1 1/2 hour. Take a Tuk tuk (3 wheel vehicle) to Wat Po. This should take a few minutes and cost no more than 50-60 baht (make sure to negotiate). Spend approximately 45 minutes at Wat Po to see the Reclining Buddha. From Ta Tien take a public ferry to Wah Arun. If you have time, make sure to rent a long tail boat and ask the driver to take you to see how some locals still live along the canal (with no road access). The private long tail boat should cost you around 1000 baht per hour. 2-3 hour should be sufficient. If you happens to be in Bangkok at the weekend make sure to visit the weekend market (Jatujak). Best way to get there is MRT to Kampanphet station. If you still have time, I normally recommend friends to visit The Jim Thompson House or a day trip to Ayutthaya. I would avoid Khao San road. 

Allow 3-4 days or longer at the North of Thailand. I prefer Chiangrai to Chiangmai as it is more quiet, local and authentic. Must visit is Mae FahLung Art and Cultural Park. Absolutely magical. Try Khao Soi (unique curry noodle dish for North of Thailand). If budget allows, stay at Anatara Golden Triangle and learn to ride elephants at the elephant sanctuary (rescued elephants).

http://www.maefahluang.org/index.php?option=com_flexicontent&view=items&cid=71%3Aeducation-attractions&id=113%3Amae-fah-luang-art-a-cultural-park&Itemid=113&lang=en

Allow 3-4 day or longer beach time. Try a lesser known place like Khao Lak which is not too far from Phuket but with wide and long sandy beach. 

Another interesting places to visit (within 1-2 hours plane ride from Bangkok) is Luang Prabang (Laos), Yangon (Burma), Angkor Wat (Cambodia).