Jodie

Jodie from San Francisco asked

Is is hard to get a work visa in Thailand?

I run a small travel business and want to stay in Thailand for an extended period (1 year) and I am not really down with running the border every 2 weeks so I was curious if it was difficult to get one and if you can apply for one while you are in Thailand. Thanks!

Thailand

John

Hi Jodie, you may be able to get a Multi entry O visa ( check with your local Thai Embassy or Consulate) this visa allows you to stay for 1 year, if you use correctly you can get 15 months, but you have to do a border run every 90 days. But this visa does not allow you to work.

Jae from Singapore

Hello Jodie. You should be able to get a work permit. You will need to be sponsored by a Thai company-this is th easiest means to obtaining a work permit. There are other options, such as starting your own business, but this requires much more work, money, and other obligations. 

Note that you cannot work in certain sectors of tourism, as this is protected by the Thai government. I suggest you to seek out an agency such as Phuket.com for more advice.

Diana

It isn't easy to get a work visa in Thailand unless you are teaching. There are multiple entry tourist visas you can get which allow you to stay around nine months, but because the government is influx, the rules often change about these. 

Jodie
yah, I was an English teacher before and had visa. If you don't mind me asking are you on a work visa as a teacher?

Diana
I just left there, but I was on a Type O Non Immigrant Volunteer Visa. I was doing PR and social media for an NGO there, but the visa got harder to get once the military took over.

Pilar from Buenos Aires

Hi Jodie!! I´ve been there for a month but I got the tourist visa, I´dont think is that difficult, you should try to get one