Andrey
Honolulu

Thailand, Bangkok

How many areas in Thailand would you hit in 7-10 days?

Hello all, if you were planning a first time trip to Thailand, would you recommend staying in one area or trying to visit several areas? Much thanks for any feedback. There seems to be so many ways to go but given that I like first and foremost: street food!, boats/islands with private shores. Budget not an issue, I will be going in October.

Josh from Baton Rouge

I don't have first hand experience as I too am planning to visit for the first time next year, but I have several friends who have gone or even lived in Thailand who I have spoken to.  If only for 7 days, I would say just one city...either Bangkok or Chiang Mai.  If you were to travel you would lose 1 day, giving you just 3 days in each place, not even including any jet lag you may experience.  If you are staying for 10 days then I think 4 days one place, 5 days another, with one day of travel would be good.

It kind of depends on what you want out of the trip.  I find that if I can spend more time in one place I get a better sense culturally of the city and can enjoy the experience more.  Just my opinion.   I'm sure you will have a fantastic time no matter which route you go!

EDIT:  Sorry, I completely missed the part of your post about islands and private beaches.  If you want to island hop, then moving around over a 7 day period is definitely doable.  What area did you want to visit...Andaman Coast or Gulf of Thailand area?

2. Chiang Mai (city)

Aizik from Bangkok

Hello Andrey. The answer to your question is conditional upon your abilities. I travel in Thailand by a car. Using personal knowledge. Thai friends and Google. Establishes a general route for myself and start to run. If you were not yet in Thailand, should you join somebody who knows if, as you said, the budget is not a problem, pay someone money. I suggest you concentrate in the south eastern Bangkok. This is what enough for one week and it will be under pressure.... Fly to Koh SamuiKo Samoi, stay 2 nights, pass to Koh Phangan, star 2 nights, Fly to Bangkok, go wild...,Fly Home.

Next time, do yourself a favor: Arrive for a longer period of time.

1. Koh Samui (island)
  2. Koh Phangan (attraction)

Laura from Buenos Aires

I went to Thailand in January and spent 4 days in Bangkok, if you don't have much time with 2 full days is enough to know the escentials, 2 days in Chiang Mai, and 5 days in the beach: 1 in Phuket, you can skip it, 2 days in Ao Nang, is a good location to visit Phi Phi Islands and other islands, and 2 days in Railay Beach just relaxing and doing nothing, cause there's not much to do there but enjoy the beautiful beach. 

You can´t miss BKK and Chiang Mai is really beautiful. Of course there are many other islands and beaches to visit but I chose those and they were really good. 

2. Chiang Mai (city)
  3. Phuket (city)
  4. Ao Nang (attraction)
  5. Phi Phi Islands (attraction)
  6. Railay Beach (attraction)