Laboni

Thailand

Help required to plan 7 day itinerary based from Bangkok

We family of 3 adults want to plan a budget trip based from Bangkok this year in December. We have 7 clear days in hand.

We are reaching Bangkok in the middle of the night. Will that be a problem?

Is this plan good?

We want to see Bangkok- floating flower market, Grand Palace, Wat Pho go on Choa Phraye River in long tail boat, see Khao san road

We also want to do Zip lining, bathe the elephants. Is that possible in Chonburi and is it as good as in Chang Mai?

Should we go to Chang Mai or will lot of time be wasted in travelling?

Not too keen to see Phuket and islands or am I being a fool?

Any other suggestions will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Claudia from New York City

Hey Laboni,

I would suggest Bangkok and Chiang Mai for a 7-day trip. Where will you be flying from? I ask because I usually suffer from jet lag on the first day coming in from New York which is a 11-hour difference (12 hours during the winter months), so I prefer a day of rest at the hotel or leisure time with not too many activities.

Here is a suggested itinerary:

Day 1  Morning at leisure. Afternoon 3-hour Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaew (Chedi Klang Thung) (Wat Chedi Klang Thung)Tour

Day 2  Floating market tour (long tail boat). The most popular floating markets are Damnoen Saduak Floating Market and Amphawa Floating Market. There are many organized tours (usually six hours tour) from Bangkok to Damnoen Saduak. You may want to check out Khlong Lat Mayom Floating Market or Taling Chan Floating Market – both are less crowded and less touristy compared to Damnoen Saduak

Day 3  Visit Wat Pho in the morning, Chao Phraya in the afternoon and Khao San Road Night Marketin the evening

Day 4 Fly to Chiang Mai

Day 5  All day at the Elephant Sanctuary – there are a few to choose

Day 6 Another day to explore Chiang Mai

Day 7 Fly back to Bangkok

I prefer to arrange for a private transfer from the airport to the hotel, regardless of the time of arrival. It’s better to start off right at a destination, even if I must pay a little bit more. Transfer is about $25 per person with Viator.

2. Chiang Mai (city)
  3. Grand Palace (attraction)
  4. Wat Phra Kaew (Chedi Klang Thung) (Wat Chedi Klang Thung) (attraction)
  5. Damnoen Saduak Floating Market (attraction)
  6. Amphawa Floating Market (attraction)
  7. Khlong Lat Mayom Floating Market (attraction)
  8. Taling Chan Floating Market (attraction)
  9. Wat Pho (attraction)
  10. Chao Phraya (attraction)
  11. Khao San Road Night Market (attraction)