Duncan

Thailand

Help in planning trip

Ok, so I am a Thailand virgin and looking very forward to visiting such a fantastic country.I have searched forums and blogs to find what and where I want to visit. I never did the travelling thing so would like this trip to be a mix of backpacking and nice hotel experiences. I need your help in working out the logistics of my trip and welcome any other ideas:

Arrive Bangkok (from London)

Fly to Chiang Mai, overnight stay(where?) 

Visit: Elephant Sanctuary (2 day volunteer program with overnight stay)

Happy for other elephant sanctuaries to be proposed if suits better with itenarary, just need to be ethical. 

Train to kanchanaburi (overnight sleeper)

Visit: River Kwai, Death war museum, war cemetery, erawan falls, night market, wat tham Khao pun 

Is it worth hiring scooters and going to the big tree? 

Stay:raft house on the river

How many days do you think I need? 

Train to Bangkok (unless quicker and better way) ?

Visit: wat phra kaeo, grand palace, wat Arun (at sunset), wat pho, wat saket, rooftop bars, floating market.

How many days do you think I need?

Fly to Koh Samui for relaxation

Optional:

Is it worth going to Khao Sok for national park and going to a different island?

I appreciate your thoughts and comments, if I have missed anything worth seeing please make a comment.

Thought I should add that it will be my wife and I and we want to experience as much as we can of what Thailand can offer, cultural experiences, sightseeing etc.

At the moment, budget is not a problem (although I don't mind paying for a nice hotel (if it is worth it), I could not fund the whole trip in these hotels.

Looking to travel mid to end march

Thanks

Mumbaikar

Hi, you are travelling alone or wth friend or family ??