Stephanie

Thailand

Favorite cities in Thailand?

What were your favorite cities in Thailand and why? I'm thinking about planning a trip there in the spring and want to know what the best cities are. Would like to get in some city life as well as nature. Thanks!

This isn't a very original answer, but I'd have to go for Bangkok. It's a pretty fascinating city if a bit difficult at times. The traffic is horrendous and it's very, very congested in general, but it's a very interesting mix of the super modern and the very old. 

I'm not big on religious sites, but the temples here were beyond amazing. The Reclining Buddha at Wat Pho is one of the most amazing attractions I've ever seen in my life. The scale has to be seen in person to be believed. 

Also loved Wat Arun for the sheer beauty of it. As you probably know, you're allowed to climb it and the view from there is amazing.

I'd also say that the Jim Thompson House was a real treat, too. He was the man who is generally credited with reviving the Thai silk trade. They turned his house into a beautiful museum that's well worth seeing. 

My absolute favorite attraction, if you can even call it that, is the Nightingale Olympic in the Little India section of town. It's more or less a functioning but yet abandoned department store that looks like it closed its doors in about 1975 and just opened them yesterday. People work there but for some reason you don't seem to be able to actually purchase anything (I tried) and you're not allowed to take pictures. There's merchandise there from the 1950s sitting in dust--totally bizarre!

2. Wat Pho (attraction)
  3. Wat Arun (attraction)
  4. Jim Thompson House (attraction)
  5. Nightingale Olympic (attraction)
  6. Little India (restaurant)

Julie from York

Hi Stephanie,

Thailand has a few really fascinating cities, and plenty of not-too-exciting towns, but which are a good base for visiting attractions and sites.

A winner all round is Chiang Mai, which has plenty to explore - temples, a fab night market for souvenirs, spas and massage, top cuisine. It's also within about three hours of the small hangout town of Pai, if you want to get a nature fix.

If you're into history, I'd recommend Kanchanaburi and its WWII sites and museums. Nearby is the Bridge Over The River Kwae and Hell Fire Pass Memorial Museum, all accessible via public transport. They are very moving, but worth visiting.

If ancient temples are more your thing, then Sukhothai is a good bet. I preferred it to Ayutthaya Historical Park if you had to choose between the two. You can rent a bike to cycle around the temples. Neither city itself is particularly exciting in my view, but the ruins are what you go for.

hope this helps, and have a fab time in Thailand!

Julie

1. Chiang Mai (city)
  2. Pai (city)
  3. Kanchanaburi (city)
  4. Bridge Over The River Kwae (attraction)
  5. Hell Fire Pass Memorial Museum (attraction)
  6. Sukhothai (city)
  7. Ayutthaya Historical Park (attraction)

Aizik from Bangkok

Cities: The best city in Bangkok. You can find everything you imagine (!!!)
Bangkok is hard to digest for a tourist, You might need someone knows the city for real. 
Don't miss Ayutthaya Go to the temples, feed the fish and eat sea food and sweet Roti Sai Mai.

You say Nature, but you don't say how much time you plane to travel.
Anyway, from Bangkok:
To the north - Golden Triangle
To the west: Kanchanaburi up until Myanmar Border.
To the east: Khao Yai National Park
To the south: 
Islands: anywhere,
Land: Travel on the western wing,

2. Ayutthaya (state)
  3. Kanchanaburi (city)
  4. Myanmar (country)
  5. Khao Yai National Park (park)

Pinay Flying from Maryland

I'd say Koh Samui - great beach and not so rowdy town as Phuket. Although I did enjoy the party scene as well in Phi Phi Islands but I'm no longer interested in those kinds of travel. Must be the age. :)

1. Koh Samui (island)
  2. Phi Phi Islands (attraction)